Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What can cause a sore on the penis other than herpes

Customer Question

What can cause a sore on the penis other than herpes? Sorry about my statement my keyboard is messed up. I went to the doctor about some bumps and a sore on my penis. he suggested that is was herpes by the look. But there is no pain in the bumps and the two sores that appeared didn't come from a bump, they were very small at first, you almost couldn't see it unless u tried, then the grew a little and stopped after a certain size. one of them took a while heal, now the other is trying to heal. they didn't appear at the same time. I flick the bumps and the sore to test them for pain but there is none. I was perscribed Acyclovior. I've been taking it for a complete week now, with no sign of effect. plus I have a rash on my chest and back which look the same(itchy sometimes on the back and sometimes on the chest), but I also have a rash on my left arm which looks nothing like the back or the stomach or the bumps on my penis, but the coloration is the somewhat the same as the bumps on the penis. which is a grayish,purpleish, tan color. tan at the bottom, with the gray color on top. it some times appears a little purple.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

There are several conditions that can cause sores on the penis. Genital herpes simplex is the most common. Herpes can form bumps rather than blisters. It can be confirmed by doing a stain of a swab of the lesion or herpes culture. Blood tests to look for antibodies to herpes can also be done. There are other STDs that can cause sores on the penis, including syphilis and chancroid. There are other causes of bumps on the penis, such as molluscum contagiosum or folliculitis. Since herpes is the most likely, the first step is to confirm whether it is herpes.