Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What is causing an evening rise of my body temperature?

Customer Question

My body temperature seems to rise in the evening for about 3 or 4 days consecutively several times a year. I do live in warm weather and starts to happen whenever I'm away from the a/c for more than half an hour. Should I be worried? I've gotten used to it so don't bring it up mainly since I don't have insurance but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 years ago.

Well if this just happens occasionally and not consistently then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Normally, the body temperature does rise a bit in the evening by half a degree or so, and may go up to 99 but that is normal. The relation of your temperature rise to warm weather and it happening when you are away from AC is further evidence that its probably nothing.
However, the possibilities for increased body temperature may be due to thyroid disease. In increase thyroid function, the temperature does rise but it is normally accompanied by other symptoms such as diarrhea, flushing, tremors, weight loss, increased appetite, eye changes etc etc. As long as you don't have any other symptoms and this isn't a consistent problem, I would say you have nothing to worry about.
If it starts happening on a regular basis then I would advise you to get a thyroid profile done.
I hope I have been helpful. If you have anymore questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you much. No other symptoms but it does happen 4 or 5 times a year so will get thyroid checked to be sure.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry to bug you. Real quick. I do get a lot of numbness in arms and legs when it happens. Do they go together? Sometimes I get numbness without the fever but sometimes yup. Are they related??

Then you should definitely get your thyroid function checked out as the first thing to do. Also get your CBC and ESR checked for any chronic lingering infections which may be a cause for this.
I hope this answers your questions. Let me know in case of anymore.