Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

When I sneeze or cough I have pain shooting from my right

chest thru my right side...
When I sneeze or cough I have pain shooting from my right chest thru my right side of my back and down my right arm. My chest still hurting very much and my the pain around the elbow makes my finger all tingling. What does that mean?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2009
Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician
Did you come down with something recently?
This pain and tingling alwas happens to you when you cough or this is new?
Do you have any other medical problems?
I've had a cold for a couple of weeks now. I've been coughing before but it doesn't hurt or tingling.
I take synthroid and calcium medicine daily
How long ago did this happen?
Are you having any shortness of breath or chest pain as well?
The pain just happen this morning when I cough or sneeze.
Yes, I do have shortness of breath when this happen.
It is very painful, it takes a few hours before the pain in my chest gone but my arm feel pain at the elbow and tingling down my fingers.
Last question, so I know I have all the information; the pain in the chest is gone and you are breathing ok right now but just have some residual pain in the elbow and finger tingling?
until the nex sneeze/cough.
Thank you. You know, this happens to me sometimes as well when I am sick and sneeze. I think it has to do with the increased pressure created in your chest from the coughing and sneezing which puts pressure on exiting nerves and maybe even blood vessels causing the uncomfortable tingling sensation. If it is only transient it is nothing to worry about. If you develop chest pain and/or severe shortness of breath it may be a more serious heart condition and you need to call your doctor immediately. But from what you describe, it does not sound very serious but just very uncomfortable.
Dr. Grinman
PS Please don't forget to click ACCEPT if you have no further questions. Positive feedback and BONUS are always warmly appreciated.
Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician