Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I heard that vicks vaporub helps seboria keratosis. true?

Customer Question

i heard that vicks vaporub helps seboria keratosis. true? (the vicks jar says not to use on "damaged" skin.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, the answer is NO , you should not use vicks vaporub on seborrheic dermatitis , as it is not made to treat such skin growths , vicks vaporub is mainly used as an ointment to relieve congestion in common cold .

So, what you can do is , now that you have already tried laser treatment , is that you can go for any one of the below mentioned treatment options..

1) Freezing with liquid nitrogen (cryosurgery)

2) Scraping the skin's surface with a special instrument (curettage)

3) Burning with an electric current (electrocautery)

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are we talking about the same thing?? my doctor called them keratosis and you replied using dermatitis. i am referring to the scaly brown patches that come with age.

I am really sorry , i meant Keratosis only , pardon my mistake , it is seborrheic keratosis that is a skin growth ..and the mentioned are the alternative treatment options other than laser..

see the link below..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrheic_keratosis#Treatment

I hope this helps..

Regards..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i wonder if this is some new "discovery" becus i know i heard it on a medical show on tv or radio. i want to be clear that i know vicks is for chest congestion, etc. it was just someone had found that vicks also worked on these ugly keratosis of which i have zillions on my legs. i'd like to try it but was put off when the jar said "not for use on damaged skin." i dont want to do anything to hurt myself either. would it hurt me somehow?? i was surprised nothing was referenced on the internet. even if it was not correct i would thik it would be there since it was mentioned to the public.

Thanks for the reply..

Well, i really do not know that how keratosis would react if you apply vicks vaporub on it, probably because no one has ever applied it that way and for that use , but , since it is not indicatd for its use this way on keratosis , so please refrain yourself from applying it on keratosis , as it may worsen the keratosis , instead of improving it , which will double up your tension , plus , when the makers of vicks vaporub have themselves mentioned on the container , to not to use on such skin conditions , so you should take their advise seriously and do not use it just because it seems an easier and more accessible option , but you should select any one of the three treatment options that i have mentioned above.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards..