Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have red circles with dry center on my arms, biceps, legs,

Customer Question
thighs. There has not...
I have red circles with dry center on my arms, biceps, legs, thighs. There has not been any itchiness, but I wonder what it could be? I have been diagnosed with both rosacea on face, herpes on groin and eczema on legs, but never had these symptoms before. When some dry up and go away, others appear elsewhere. No images on google reflect what it is-it is not ringworm or molluscum. Help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
10/29/2009
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago
Has any infectious disease been considered?
I hope not. What infectious disease could it be related to? I have not had blood tested. The derm friend did not think it was necessary. But its been 3 weeks and the circles seem to continue...There is no pain or itch. Only the sight of the circles on the arms and legs.
Any chance of posting a photo?
How do I post a photo to you? If I can describe better, there are 4-7 pink to red round circles on biceps/triceps, underarms and 3-5 thighs, behind legs. The center when it is new is scaly and dry. As the spot improves, the center, no more than 1 inch in diameter is dry , circular and slightly brown. Eventually it clears up, but others than appear. The derm friend said it could be contagious but noone has caught anything from any contact. I thought it was molluscum at first, but they do not have an umbilical center, sticking out. if anything it is depressed in the center and dry. Any ideas without photo? I could take photo and send it but to where? (for example, ive uploaded to Facebook). Help!
Any news? Still waiting....
Well, it could be a variant of eczema or tinea (ringworm) despite you're saying that's not what it looks like. I'd suggest a combination of cortisone cream and an antifungal like Lamisil to see if it resolves. If not, reconsult your dermatologist friend.
Hmmm, it could be mycosis fungal. Does that sound right? Apparently could be ringworm like without the worm.
Mycosis fungoides is a rare possibility and would require a dermatologist to evaluate. If your friend didn't think that's what it is, it's unlikely.
Is tinea not mycosis? Superficial mycoses
Superficial mycoses - limited to the outermost layers of the skin and hair.
An example of a fungal infection is Tinea versicolor: Tinea versicolor is a fungus infection that commonly affects the skin of young people, especially the chest, back, and upper arms and legs. Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. It doesn't usually affect the face. This fungus produces spots that are either lighter than the skin or a reddish-brown. This fungus exists in two forms, one of them causing visible spots. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity, as well as immune or hormone abnormalities. However, almost all people with this very common condition are healthy. The causative agent is lipophilic,yeast like fungus Pityrossporum orbiculare(Malassezia furfur)
What about circular psoriasis?
You've certainly done your research! Yes, mycosis refers to fungi, but mycosis fungoides is not a fungal infection. Tinea versicolor would also be treated with an antifungal medication. Psoriasis is a possibilty.
OK, will see a dermatologist, thank you
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor