Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is the best medication for neurotrophy? My feet are

Customer Question
What is the best medication...
What is the best medication for neurotrophy? My feet are very sensitive and have a tingling sensation.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/27/2009
Doctor: Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison
Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison, Board Certified Physician

Have you had any tests performed for your foot pain?

Are you taking any medications for any other health or medical Problems?

My feet tingle and sting especially when I first get up in the morning. This weekend I was in Las Vegas and was on my feet a great deal and my feet felt like they were on fire!

Do you take any other Medicines?

Are you diabetic?

My feet burn and tingle, seems like the nerves in my feet are hype sensitive. Both my sisters suffer from this condition. What medications are available to help with this issue? My sister took one medication that promised weight gain. I will not take any medication that will make me gain weight. I am 53 years old, I work out about 5 times a week and am very active besides my work outs. I am presently not on any medications and wonder if there is a medication that can help me with the feet pain without any side effects?

First, I would advise some testing to prove that it is neuropathy, Your doctor can order a test called an EMG, which would confirm the diagnosis.

The two drugs used for perpheral neuropathy is Gabapentin, the second is Lyrica. Both are related meds and can help considerably on improving the symptoms, but both can occassionaly cause weight gain, swelling, and dizziness.

I hope this helps you, and best wishes!

I don't want to take a drug hat causes weight gain. Any other ideas?
Topical medications, such as Capsicin Cream, can help without the side effects of oral meds. Alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, may help.

Do I need a perscription for the Capsicin cream?

You can buy it under the brand name Zostrix, or Zostrix HP.

But note: it may take time (a week or so) to kick in. It may cause a little burning when you start to use it, as it is a cayanne pepper extract. Be sure to read and follow the directions on the label. It is also used for joint and muscle pain as well.

Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison

Thanks.

Pam Underwood

your welcome!
Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison
Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison