How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MasterDoc Your Own Question
MasterDoc, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1611
Experience:  20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
MasterDoc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I broke my toe 10 years ago. The nail stopped growing for

Customer Question

I broke my toe 10 years ago. The nail stopped growing for 3 years and when it did start growing, it came with a nail fungus under it. I have tried all over the counter remedies. Is there anything that really works to clear up the infection?

Thank you!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 7 years ago.
Onychomycosis is a fungal infection of the finger or toe nails
Treatment of onychomycosis is challenging because the infection is embedded within the nail and is difficult to reach. As a result full removal of symptoms is very slow.

Nail fungus can be difficult to treat, and repeated infections are common. Over-the-counter antifungal nail creams and ointments are available, but they aren't very effective.
You may require oral antifungal medications for six to 12 weeks, but you won't see the end result of treatment until the nail grows back completely. It may take four months or longer to eliminate an infection.
Doctor may also advise Antifungal lacquer as well.
You should also take some self care measures as well.
For further reading-

I suggest you to consult a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you buy antifungal lacquer over the counter? Frankly, I'm afraid to go to a dermatologist as I carry my own insurance policy and am afraid it will skyrocket my premiums (which are already too high for my income),if I am diagnosed with this. Any information you can give me will be much appreciated.

Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
WHen you consult the dermatologist (though a podiatrist might be better) you might want to inquire about a recent treatment modification. While the BEST way to treat this problem (in terms of highest success rate) are the pills as described, you should be aware that there is a significant risk of liver damage when those pills are taken in traditional fashion (daily for months). An alternative is the practice of taking the pills daily for one week, then stopping for three weeks and then taking again for a week. This leads to only a slightly reduced cure rate while likely dropping the risk of permanent liver damage to virtually zero.
WIth such a long established infection pills are likely a necessity to cure; the lacquer by itself won't be enough.
Please click ACCEPT.
MasterDoc, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1611
Experience: 20 years of experience as an Emergency Physician; board certified in Emergency Medicine
MasterDoc and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you