Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD
4079050

Adult Holding breath while awake not realizing they are

Adult Holding breath while awake not realizing they are doing it.
Hello Rosierose,

Did you suffered from / Noticed the similar problems in your childhood also?

When and how it happens, how it affects you?

How these symptoms manifest so that someone else noticed it, not you?

What is your response to fear, injury, or emotional stress usually? any history of fainting spells?

Are you suffering from or have suffered from any medical / Psychiatric illness?

Please answer these questions and I will get back to you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1.Not in child hood

2.I just unconciously do this. I Have alot of stress in my life.

3.While playing card games is when she noticed this. My Husband also noticed it.

4.They watch me playing cards I guess. No history of Fainting

5. I have Panic Attacks, and Depression

6. I also have acute sleep Apena/ i use oxygen with c-pap machine and moisture.

Thanks for the reply Rosie,

Have you asked, what happens to you during your breath holding spells?

I mean your face turns bluish purple or pale?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No it don't turn colors. They said I just hold my breath alot.

OK. Thanks.

Breath holding spells are defined as episodes of brief involuntary cessations of breathing that occur in children in response to stimuli such as anger, frustration, fear or injury. Usually they are not reported in adults but while searching for Breath holding spells in adults I found this link.

Breath-holding spells in somatoform disorder.

In your case, you have not reported any after effect of your breath holding episode so I guess your symptoms may not be considered as breath holding spells?

If holding of breath results in some kind of distress, you should consult a physician near you, otherwise I think it is nonspecific and may be a coincidental finding?

If you are under treatment of a psychiatrist, I would recommend you to tell him about this symptoms of your's for further evaluation.

Regards

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I also have COPD and even with my C-PAP I quit breathing. And they don't know what else to do I have 2 liters of oxygen at nite with machine.

But you have mentioned that it occurs involuntary sometimes, does not affect you anyhow and you have not noticed it but your husband and relatives noticed it.
So nothing conclusive can be said about it on the basis of your current medical / psychiatric history and the information I have got.

If you are seeing a Respiratory physician also, you can discuss with him also about it to know the cause of it.

Regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see in my account that you were Paid $25.00 Then they also took another $35.00 so I'd say you were well Paid. Thats more than my co-pay for my Specialist. I'm disabled and not able to get disability or unemployment anymore. I wanted to pay $25.00 plus A $10.00 Tip and they took the tip and added it to another $25.00 so I guess I won't be doing this again. Thank-You for your advice.
Hello Rosie,

I guess, this could be a mistake. All this is manged by the JA site and I am sending your reply to JA moderator for immediate prompt action.

I assure you, that I will try my best to resolve this matter.

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank-You Dr. Vikas I very much appericate you doing this for me. May God Bless You and Your Family.

Respectfully, ***** ***** Traxler

You are most welcome Romona. I have already reported your reply and also forwarded a message regarding this.

Thanks for coming to JA.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Best to you also. Have a great Night.