How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abby Your Own Question
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10330
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Abby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What kind of Doctor should I see with a rib injury?

Resolved Question:

What kind of Doctor should I see with a rib injury?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

What type of injury do you have?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pushed a heavy pallet and feel like I "pushed" my ribs in. Feels like I have a dent on my right side.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Are you having pain now? If so, how severe is the pain?
What are you taking for pain?
Any shortness of breath?
Any chronic health problems?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Pain not to bad. Hurts when I move or cough etc. I would put the pain at a 5. Have not taken any painkillers. Hurts also if I lie on my side.No shortness of breath.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

If you have a primary care doctor (family doctor or internist) that is who I would go to.
What you need are xrays of the ribs.
There is not much that is done for rib fractures, if that is what you have, unless you have developed complications of an underlying lung injury (symptoms would be shortness of breath).
The treatment for a rib fracture is pain control with over the counter medications (ibuprofen) and if necessary-prescription strength pain killers.
It can take about 6 weeks for a rib fracture to heal, depending on the severity of the injury.

If you do have a rib fracture, you will need to modify your activities at work to prevent further injury. (no heavy lifting, etc).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!
Dr. Abby and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you