Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Sometimes my stools are rather soft and flat or ribbon-like.

Sometimes my stools are rather soft and "flat" or ribbon-like. And they float. I had a rectal fissure a few years ago - could this be the cause?

Hi

Have you noticed blood in stool?

Do you have pain while passing stool?

Any other medical issue?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am about 90 pounds overweight. I have fibroid tumors in uterus (this is monitored by my OB-GYN. The rectal fissure by the way was repaired. I have no blood or mucous in stools. No pain unless I'm constipated which isn't really a problem.

Floating stool , along with ribbon shaped stool, is mostly due to diet-related. A diet can lead to an increase in the amount of gas produced by the bacteria found in the (healthy) gastrointestinal tract. Other reason can be malabsorption, in which the body can't properly digest and absorb fat and other nutrients from the GI tract

You need to make some dietary changes along with medications. Avoid chocolate, peppermint, fatty foods, coffee, and alcoholic beverages.Avoid beans, cabbage, and carbonated beverages. If you are overweight,loose some weight.

You should remain away from stress and anxiety. Start practicing Yoga and meditation. Also you should eat meals at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.You should chew your food thoroughly. This can be controlled with change in diet, also you need to consult a dietitian for planning of diet.

Take care