How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. German Your Own Question
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 3834
Experience:  Medical Doctor
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. German is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a rash on my penis for several years now. I kept

Resolved Question:

I have had a rash on my penis for several years now. I kept it under control with Cortisone 10. I just recently about 3 weeks ago after having sex with my wife realized that my penis was burning. I noticed on the left side of the head of my penis there is what seemed to be a small gray discoloration looking like the skin has possibly thinned. My question is if I have used Cortisone for this length of time could I have damaged my skin and if so can the skin repair itself if this has happened?
If you need additional info I would be glad to give any additional info.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.
Hi,Customer ,one important side effect of using steroids is the thinning of the skin that you are experiencing .

Every clinical case is different .

The thinning of the skin is not always reversible ,the 3 important factors that will determine if these symptoms are reversible or not , are :

1-How long have you used the product
2 -How strong the product was
3-In what area you have being applying the cream ( in your case the penis )

Right now ,my main recommendation is to stop using this cream immediately .

In most cases, the skin will begin to thicken again when you stop applying it.

However, it can take months to begin experience a visible thickening of your skin.

In some cases,if you have being using this cortisone cream for years ,the effects could be permanent .

You should consult a doctor ( Dermatologist Specialist) to determine what is really producing the rash ,that could be caused by :

1-Viral ,bacterial or fungal infection
2-Skin Irriation by soaps or detergents
3-An allergic reaction
4-STD ( Sexual Transmittable Disease)

Your doctor will need to perform some tests including:

1-STD tests and a
2-Skin biopsy if it is necessary

With these tests and a physical examination,your doctor will be able to determine what is producing this rash so You can receive the appropriate treatment .

The dermatologist will be able to prescribe you a cream without steroids to alleviate your symptoms without producing this skin thinning You have been experiencing .

If you like the answer,please click accept. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks forr the answers. I do have a few more though. I have stopped using the cortizon. I stopped about 3 weeks ago. It is currently doing better than it was 3 weeks ago but still is sensitive when my boxer shorts rub up against it. It funny it isn't sensitive to the touch but is when the boxers rub up against it. I will let you know that there is no oozing or scabs or anything like that. As far as desease I have been with only my wife since we have been married for 7 years and prior to that I didn't have sex at all for 7 years. I developped this aprox. 6 years agao. My wife doesn't have any of these problems herself. I also want to let you know that I have this rash in my butt crack area as well and sometimes (occationally) is occures under my testicles. I also get it on my eyelids which is very painfull as well and on my face and ears. To be honest I need to know what I can apply to my skin at this point thaqt will help in all the different areas.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.
Customer,what you can do ,it is follow these steps to improve your symptoms :

1-Use Cotton underwear instead of synthetic or wool underwear ,because these materials are too scratchy
2-After taking a bath ,apply a moisturizer like Vaseline to hydrate your skin
3-Avoid hot temperatures ,sweating can worsen your symptoms
4-When you are taking a bath ,avoid using hot water ,this makes your skin worse , use warm water instead.
5-Use mild soaps like Dove instead of harsh soaps
6-If your skin is too itchy ,apply a calamine lotion to relieve the itching
7-After taking the bath ,do not rub your skin with the towel ,pat it gently.

These simple steps will relieve your symptoms ,however you should consult a Dermatologist Specialist also to have a further evaluation .Your dermatologist will determine if you need any additional treatment .

If you like the answer,please click accept. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
have you delt with any other cases like mine yourself and was there a solution to the problem?
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.
Customer, I have seen patients like you and there is a solution .

However,it is necessary that You consult a doctor who can perform a physical examination and a skin biopsy ( skin sample examination) if it is necessary . If the dermatologist considers it necessary ,he will prescribe an additional treatment .

If you like the answer,please click accept. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What would be the best natural moisturizer to use. And what should I use around my eyes especially.
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.
Customer, You could use hypoallergenic products like Eucerin Redness Relief Lotion to moisturize your face and the area around your eyes .

However, You should also consult a Dermatologist Specialist to be further evaluated .

If you like the answer,please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .
Dr. German and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you