How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Vikas Your Own Question
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2253
Experience:  MBBS; MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Vikas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 yo son is very troubled. I don't know where to start.

Resolved Question:

Hello. My name is Edie & my 19 yo son is very troubled. I don't know where to start. For the past 6 years or so he is unfocused, non-communicative, & confused. He was being treated for ADD last year & he decided he didn not want to con't with the treatment, says that it wasn't helping. As his mom I need to help him. He does have a job, quit school & can't seem to take care of simple tasks on his own, without being told (take out the trash, do laundry, etc). His co workers say he is outgoing & funny, at home he is withdrawn & never interacts with the family. What do I do? I was thinking about making an appt with our Internal Medicine (family dr) to start out with blood tests to see if there is a chemical imbalance. Is there a sure fire way to diagnose BiPolar? I need help, but most of all, HE NEEDS HELP!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Edie,

Was your son under treatment of a Psychiatrist?

What reason he gave when he says the medicine didn't help. Have you tried to explore?

In your view, was he comparatively better when he was on medicines or you also think that medicines were not effective at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.


Yes & no - the office was a Psychiatrist, but the person he saw was a PA that saw/counseled all the ADD patients.

He was started out on the Ritalin, which was changed to another medication (I'm sorry I can't remember the name) & given an anti-depressant after the 4-5 visit. He says that the medicine made it difficult to sleep & he would be up all night. Then he stopped going & was lying about the appts. Eventually I found out the truth that he decided on his own that he didn't want to con't with treatment. He lies. It is a serious problem. He was pretending to go to college, but I discovered that he wasn't even enrolled. I guess what has me so confused in this whole mess is that he has never been a trouble maker. All the teachers loved him in their classes. He's a home body, he doesn't do the "typical" teenage stuff. Sometimes I wish he would go to the movies, go to a party, something! His favorite thing to do is play on his laptop (online gaming). He would stay on there litterally all day.

I did see some changes, for the better, when he was taking medicine. He admitted to me yesterday that he wasn't as open as he could have been with the counselor. He felt. at the time, that they weren't getting anywhere.

I realized with him being an adult that I can't make him do anything (seeking help), but my husband & I are so very concerned. We feel like he is on self-destruct mode.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information. If we assume that he was suffering from ADD, there are various disorders such as depression, Anxiety disorders which may be comorbid with ADD (exist with it) and needs to be addressed properly.

It appears to me that he was not able to maintain a good therapeutic relation with the counselor and most probably was also not able to tolerate the side effect of ADD medicine specially insomnia and may be because of this reason he decided to stop it by himself.

In my view, the first and foremost thing required in my view being a psychiatrist myself is that he needs a psychiatric examination and treatment once again and this time it should be by a psychiatrist. There are no such blood test which could lead to a diagnosis of ADD or Bipolar disorder and for the proper diagnosis, a thorough psychiatric history and detailed mental status examination is required.

As you mentioned that he was responding to medicines, everything will be alright once he restart the treatment and is able to trust the doctor who is treating him

If you have any related query, please fell free to ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just so I'm clear, do you think I should avoid starting with the family dr? I should go straight to the psychiatrist? Statements like this has me so very concerned: "I'm just a sick twisted person" & I'd rather be addicted than lost in my mind".

Thank you for your time. I will take action today.


Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Edie, in my view he needs a psychiatrist.

Best wishes
Dr. Vikas and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you