Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

When I go to sleep at night my legs and my feet start to

Customer Question
tingle and get numb and...
When I go to sleep at night my legs and my feet start to tingle and get numb and ache and itch and it is hard to sleep. I'm border line diabetic and have a very bad back I also work part time
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
10/6/2009
Doctor: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
This is likely to be Peripheral Neuropathy.

Peripheral Neuropathy occurs due to weakness of the nerves and gives rise to various sensations in the nerves. This can occur due to diabetes, thyroid disorders, stress, anxiety, aging, etc. In your case, the diabetes is the most likely cause of this since peripheral neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes.

There are various ways to treat peripheral neuropathy. This also depends on the cause. In general, Maintaining optimum weight, proper diet, vitamin supplements, exercise, treating stress and depression will help in reducing the symptoms. You should try to achieve this at home. You should also take Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements which are available at all pharmacies. You should also go for regular exercise.

If these steps do not help, you need to consult a neurologist for this. You may need tests like Nerve conduction tests to diagnose your condition.

You can look up here:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/peripheralneuropathy.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD