How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9126
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a red/purple discoloration that is around my anus and

Resolved Question:

I have a red/purple discoloration that is around my anus and extends up the inside of both cheeks of my buttocks. The red/purple area is warm to the touch. I also have a hard, "under the skin" pimple/boil that does not have a head , nor is it discolored in any way. The red/purple area does not itch. There is an inflamed area that is at the top of the crack of my buttocks.
Is this a staph infection in your opinion?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
How long have you had this?

Have you been diagnosed by a doctor to have staph infection under the skin?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, I have not been diagnosed by a doctor to have staph. I am taking the amoxicillin due to having it on hand from a sinus infection and made a self-diagnosis that my redness was probably an infection of some type.

I originally noticed the boil and redness about 2-3 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
Since you mention that the area is warm to the touch and there is a hard area under the skin, this could be an infection causing cellulitis.

Cellulitis is infection of the tissues under the skin.

Cellulitis may be caused by various bacteria, most commonly by streptococcus. It could also be a staph infection.

You should consult your doctor for this. You will need antibiotics for this. The amoxycillin alone may not help specially in staph infections. In that case you would need a higher strength of antibiotic. Hence you should consult your doctor to get the appropriate treatment.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Dr. P. Jyoti and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you