Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

What is a C1 Rotation, What problems can it cause, and is

What is a C1 Rotation, What problems can it cause, and is there any thing that can be done. My daughter never feels well, always sick. Was in car accident
Has she been diagnosed as having C1 rotatory subluxation?

Have any tests like CT or MRI been done of the neck?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes the CT shows a rotation

Findings There is straighting of the lordotic curve.The prevertebralspace is grossly unremarkable. The predental space is normal in appearance.The disk spacesare maintained. The vertical hieghts of vertibrates are prserved.

The altlantoocciptal is preserved. There is a rotaion of C1 on C2 with a step deformity identified on the right that measures 5.5 mm anteriorly. no accute fracture or dislocation can be identified. Ligamentous injury has not been excluded.

Soft tissue injury has not been excluded. Multiple small lymph nodes can be identified in submental region on both sides and also along the internal jugular vein posteriorly. This needs to be interpited in light of clinnical assessment.

The apices of the lungs appear grossley unremarkable. The airway is patent.

Summary:

There is rotation of C1 on C2

This the report from Edmonton Doctor

C1 rotatory subluxation is a condition when there is loss of stability of the ligaments which binds the two vertebrae together, causing rotation of one on the other.

Symptoms are neck pain, pain at the nape of the neck, lightheadedness and dizziness in certain positions due to vertebro-basilar insufficiency, etc.

Treatment depends on the degree of rotation and the stability of the joints.

Usually conservative treatment is sufficient for mild injuries. But in case of moderate or severe injuries, fixation of the two vertebrae may be needed.

You should consult a Neurosurgeon for this. A neurosurgeon will be the best guide for her on this. You should discuss about her tretment options with him.

Till then, she can use a cervical collar. Soft cervical collars are available in all pharmacies and this will help her to control her symptoms.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is the nausa and weakness related is what I had also asked?
this is likely to be related.

C1 rotation can cause vertebro basilar insufficiency. Vertebro basilar artery supplies the cerebellum, and any decrease in blood flow can cause nausea, dizziness, light headedness, weakness, etc.

So her nausea and weakness is most likely to be from this C1 rotation.

If this is persistent, your doctor may consider surgical treatment.