Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm experiencing upper arm pain at or around deltoid

Customer Question
tuberosity, right side, with skin...
I'm experiencing upper arm pain at or around deltoid tuberosity, right side, with skin sensitivity over the area of pain. Pain is present only when shoulder/arm is in motion. Pain started 4 weeks ago. Pain level is 4 on scal of 1 to 10. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2009
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Is this pain mostly over the anterior (front) of the shoulder (around the tuberosity), or more around the top, or the back, or the outside of the shoulder?

Is their pain if you press into the actual shoulder itself?

Do you have neck pain? Arm pain?
Is there swelling around the shoulder?
Have you injured the shoulder?
Pain is mostly over anterior of shoulder. Pain is present if I press the area but not as intense, maybe 2 on scale of 1 to 10. No other pain or swelling in neck or arm. I did experience an injury about 8 years ago. I was would doing a dumbbell press and I believe that my biceps tendon rolled out of the intertubercular groove (just my theory). My arm essentially collapsed with dumbbell in hand.
OK.

Are you having any numbness or weakness now?

Is this pain primarily with over-the-head activities (such as throwing motion)?
There is no numbness. Not sure how to measure weakness. I can participate in regular activities, yard work, etc ... I would say no loss of strength, just pain in the area. Yes, pain is primarily with over-the-head activities.
OK.

Pains that are just over the front of the shoulder are often related to some type of impingement syndrome -- and the fact that the pain is primarily with over the head activities is a sign of this (as the pain is worse in those cases).

Possibilities include:

simple shoulder strains
tendonitis
tendonitis with a tear
rotator cuff issues (tears usually have a loss of strength as well)
biceps tendonitis

Often times, with an exam by your doctor -- the cause can usually be elicited. Doctors can use injections of local anesthetic into the area over the biceps tendon to see if that is a possible cause.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Thank you for your help. You have convinced me that I should get an exam. This gives me a good idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks again!
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon