Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

9 year old boy sudden onset of "chest" pain. Irregular HR,

9 year old boy sudden...
9 year old boy sudden onset of "chest" pain. Irregular HR, 101, 68, 73, 132, 64, 71, 58. The lower HR's sound like a normal boom, boom, beat , then it stops completely, then resumes with a super fast triple beat , then returns to normal. went to see DR and she sent us home w/ reflux, he's not even complaining of reflux symptoms..should I take him to the ER
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2009
Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor

How do you know that the heart rate is irregualr and that he is missing beats ?
Hi, I'm a cardiac tech on an adult cardiac floor, no knowledge of pediatrics, so when my son was woken up last night chest pain , I just grabbed the stethoscope and listened to his HR for the full 60 seconds and then repeated this every five minutes. The slower heart rates were so irregular I had a hard time counting the beats and the fast ones were super fast up over 130. BP was good 86/68, no a little nausea , thumping head, no vomitting or fainting

Was an ECG taken? Doe she still have the irregualr heart rhythm?
Hi , it's a boy , and we went to the Pediatrician office this morning when his hr reached 132 and he was having considersable pain, when we arrived he was at a 108 HR, same BP as last night and all she did was listen to his heart and lungs , pressed on his belly , no EKG was ordered, she prescribed something for reflux and said if that didn't work then we'd do follow up for EKG or other testing. My 13 year old and husband both have murmurs, the 13 yrs old boy is being seen by a pediatric cardiologist 10/29 to rule out LVH, he's been having episodes for the past 3 years.

This needs urgent evaluation by a cardiologist - including an EKG and also an ECHO keeping in mind the symptoms and also the family history.

I suggest you schedule an appointment at the earliest.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Please click ACCEPT so that i get paid for my work. A bonus would be appreciated.

Regards.
Thank you for your input, I hate to undermine my physicians skills , but I didn't feel at ease when we left there this morning and he is still complaining of pain. Also, do you think it can be related at all that he had a mild concussion two weeks ago due to football , and that yesterday he was complaining ALL day of right eye pain and the urge to blink excessivly with pretty heavy fatigue, then his chest pain symptoms started at 10 pm last night. I would just love to have the rest of your input , because I really feel like I get blown off , when this is such a serious occurance.

It could be the other way round - he probably had the concussion because of a underlying heart condition.

Fatigue and chest pain too would point towards the same.

He definitely needs a detailed clinical examination and investigations by a cardiologist.

Regards.
Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor