Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

Blood in urine, even passed chunks of coagulated blood.

Customer Question

Blood in urine, even passed chunks of coagulated blood. Happened a couple times last year (with no coagulation) but cleared up after a few hours. This time has continued for over 24 hours.
Also find blood in stool periodically.
Figured it was probably stomach ulcer.
I'm 73 and underwent proton radiation for prostate cancer 12 years ago. I've been healthy all my life but now suffer from mild acid reflux and fatigue.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 8 years ago.

Hello

Blood in urine & blood in stool have diffrent causes. It is mere coincidence,that you had both together at the same time.

Blood in urine is medically called as hematuria.Often, bloody urine is from a problem in your kidneys or other parts of the urinary tract or its the prostate.Its most common causes are:benign pro static hyperplasia (BPH; enlarged prostate),prostate infection or inflammation (prostitutes)kidney stones and bladder stones,infection of the bladder, kidney, or urethra.Other causes can be blood related disorders or certain medications can also cause this.You need urinalysis,kidney x-ray.abdominal ultrasound,,other blood tests.

The most probable cause is benign pro static hyperplasia (BPH; enlarged prostate) or relapse of prostate cancer.

The condition having fresh red colored blood in stool is called hematochezia. Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be a brighter red. This blood is coming from lower gastro intestinal tract. Its most common causes are: hemorrhoids,anal fissures,diverticular bleeding,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease. ulcerative collitis,crohn's disease.If your blood in stool in black,then acid reflux and gastritis is the most common cause.

You need:stool examination,ultrasound of lower abdomen.It should be evaluated by a health care professional.

Regards

Dr.David.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your answer simply confirms what I"ve already read on other Google sites.
What I need to know is: Do you consider this an emergengy situation which requires immediate action or should I wait a few days and see if it clears up on its own as before?
Thank you for the quick response.
Gary
Expert:  Dr.David replied 8 years ago.

Although this condition is not an emergency condition but on the other hand none of these conditions are self limiting anf these will not go by itself. You need medications for these conditions. I advice you to make an early appointment with your gastroenetrologist & urologist for the tetsts & excat diagnosis.

Regards

Dr.David.