Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I feel like I have to have a bowel movement all day,

Customer Question
I feel like I...
I feel like I have to have a bowel movement all day, eventhough I   already had them in the am.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
9/24/2009
Doctor: BMW MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
BMW MD
BMW MD, Doctor
Hello. I would be happy to try to answer your question.

I am very sorry you are having this problem. It sounds as though you may be having some constipation.

Treatments to help you get more regular include
-A well-balanced diet high in fiber, including bran, fruits and vegetables.
-Cutting down on white bread, cakes and sugar.
-Drinking at least 8 to 10 glasses of water a day.
-Hot beverages, such as coffee, tea or hot water may stimulate bowel movements.
-Prunes and plum juice can also be beneficial.
-Regular exercise improves digestion and reduces stress.
-A regular bowel habit. The best time is usually the first hour after breakfast. Don't hurry and sit for at least 10 minutes, regardless of whether you manage to pass a stool. Don't strain.

*Stimulants cause rhythmic contractions in the intestines. Examples include Correctol, Dulcolax and Senokot.
*Lubricants enable stool to move through your colon more easily. Examples include mineral oil and Fleet.
*Stool softeners moisten the stool and help prevent dehydration. Examples include Colace and Surfak.
*Fiber supplements, or bulk laxatives, are generally considered the safest of laxatives. Examples include FiberCon, Metamucil, Konsyl, Serutan and Citrucel. These agents must be taken with plenty of water.
*Osmotics help fluids to move through the colon. Examples include Cephulac, Sorbitol and Miralax.
*Saline laxatives act like a sponge to draw water into the colon for easier passage of stool. Examples include milk of magnesia and Haley's M-O.

If your constipation doesn't respond to changes in lifestyle or medical treatment, surgical removal of part of your colon may be recommended. In this procedure, the problem segment or segments of the anal sphincter or rectum are removed.

Above all, recognize that a successful treatment program can take time and effort.

There are many causes of constipation. The most common causes include:
-Insufficient fluid intake.
-A diet low in fiber. Fibre retains fluid and makes the stools light and soft.
-Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
-An underactive thyroid gland.
-Colon or rectal cancer.
-Certain medicines, eg codeine-containing painkillers (co-dydramol, co-proxamol), morphine-like painkillers, antidepressants, aluminium-containing antacids, iron supplements, and anticholinergics such as procyclidine (eg Kemadrin) (used in Parkinson's disease).

Constipation should not simply be accepted or ignored. Persistent constipation or any change in bowel habit (whether towards constipation or looseness) should be investigated, especially in adults over 40 years.

I hope this helps. I put a good amount of thought and care in to my answer. Please be respectful of my time and effort, and if satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I may be paid for my work. A bonus is always appreciated. Use of this service does not constitute any doctor-patient relationship, nor does it allow for confidentiality. I assume no medico-legal responsibility. If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification.

Take good care, and best wishes.
BMW, MD
BMW MD
BMW MD
BMW MD, Doctor