How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5104
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just completed an urinalysis where my UA HGB was 10

Resolved Question:

I just completed an urinalysis where my UA HGB was 10 (trace) evidencing blood in the urine but my RCB HPF was at normal range can that be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Hemoglobin in the urine is called hemoglobinuria. Hemoglobin is the protein in the red blood cells and comes from the breakdown of red blood cells.

Basically in disorders where there is excessive breakdown of red blood cells such as hemolytic anemia or other causes of hemolysis (e.g.,
drugs, parasites, transfusion reaction), hemoglobin may be seen in the urine without RBC's. Also exercising may sometimes cause hemoglobinuria.

Trace amounts of hemoglobin does not mean there is a medical problem, and urinalysis must be repeated in such cases for confirmation. If confirmed further tests such as complete blood count, imaging study of the kidney, or cystoscopy may be indicated.

Take care.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Please note that answers and advice are for information only, and do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship. Please Consult a Physician in your State for Medical Advice.

Answers provided through are for educational and research purposes only.
Dr. Ravoof and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you