Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG Certified
8865089

What is the difference between Dicloxicillin and

what is the difference between Dicloxicillin and amoxycillin?

My father was prescibed Diclox for cellulitis in his legs and still appears to have it he has completed his course of diclox , but has some Amoxil in his cupboard can he take them or should he take another course of Diclox.

A couple of months ago he was hospitalised for the cellulitis and on IV triple antibiotics
There is a difference between dicloxacillin and amoxicillin in that the former is more active against Stapylococcus aureus which is the organism that is most commonly implicated in causing cellulitis. On the other hand amoxicillin is not as effective against Staphylococcus as amoxicillin is. Therefore I would not recommend switching dicloxacillin and amoxicillin.

Regards
On the other hand amoxicillin is not as effective against Staphylococcus as amoxicillin is" CORRECTION "On the other hand amoxicillin is not as effective against Staphylococcus as dicloxacillin is"