How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abby Your Own Question
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10330
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Abby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some swelling in my right side under my rib cage and

Customer Question

I have some swelling in my right side under my rib cage and above the hip.
I have a general bloating and queezy.

I have had constipation off and on for the last month. I have also had movements that are spaced and a large volume at times.

Is this a gall bladder problem?
Is a gall bladder attack an emergency?
Should I request to see a doctor quickly or wait for the next appointment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 8 years ago.

A few questions for you,

Do you have abdominal pain? Pain under the right rib and right upper abdomen?
Any pain radiating to the right shoulder blade?

Have you ever had a colonoscopy?
Blood in your stools?
Black stools?
When is your next scheduled doctor's appointment?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No fever, no vomiting,

dull ache under the right rib cage.

I have a problem with my right shoulder when I lift things like a brief case off the car seat.

I had a colonoscopy two years ago and have another one scheduled for a week from friday.

No black stools.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

First, I think that it is wise that you are having the colonoscopy due to the fact that you are having bloating and a change in bowel habits.

Second, the question about the gallbladder. Common symptoms of gallbladder disease are nausea, bloating, pain in the right upper abdomen that is worse after eating a high fat meal, and pain that radiates to the right shoulder blade. It would not cause a swelling specifically in one area of the abdomen.

An acute cholecystitis (gallbladder attack associated with infection), if associated with fever, nausea, vomiting, and severe pain is an emergency because of the infection associated with this.

If you are having pain and fever, you need to see your doctor or go to the emergency room right away.

If you are having mild pain, bloating or upset stomach but no fever, I would make an appointment to see your doctor so he or she can examine the area of swelling, order some blood work and possibly an ultrasound of the abdomen.

I hope this answers your question. It is hard to say at this point whether your symptoms are due to a gallbladder problem. Some of your symptoms could be due to gallstones, but more workup is needed.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you