FamilyMD
FamilyMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Licensed in Georgia, Board Certified Family Practice
19526965

Dark,irritated armpits and fungus. how to treat it?I know I

Dark,irritated armpits and fungus. how to treat it?
I know I need to stop using deodorant, but I don't want to smell. whenever I put on deodorant it takes forever to wash it off when I shower thus making me scrub a bit harder and as a result my pits are painful
Category: Medical
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
There are two things you can do:

First, stop rubbing the armpits during shower. Ask your doctor to prescribe Nizoral shampoo for your fungus.
  After showering with Nizoral, use clotrimazole cream (available
over-the-counter) for the armpit fungus. You can apply the deoderant over the clotrimazole cream.
   Hope this helps! Good luck.
Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks for the help, before I go see a doctor how can I wash off my deodorant without hurting my armpits. this is the root of my problem. when I don't wash everything off it smells horrible
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
You should buy a steroid cream (like 0.1% hydrocortisone) over-the-counter, and apply the steroid cream to your armpits. Then, after easing the inflammed armpits, gently attempt to wash off the deodorant. Apply some powder to the armpits to keep them dry--this will reduce the moisture, which causes fungal growth. Take care:)