Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My boyfriend is in the bathroom, in pain. he is severely

Customer Question
constipated, and is hurting himself...
My boyfriend is in the bathroom, in pain. he is severely constipated, and is hurting himself straining. So far I have taken him a cigarette, a cold glass of water and a water enema bag. He has requested additional aide and I dont know what to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
9/5/2009
Doctor: HouseDoc, Attending Physician replied 8 years ago
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician

Constipation has to be treated in a multifactorial manner. First off he should not strain so severely that it is causing pain. Excessive straining can lead to the formation of hemerroids. Secondly, drink some warm water as soon as you wake up in the morning. This will help stimulate a bowel movement. You can also place a warm water bag on the stomach while lying in bed. In terms of medications, take 100 mg of colace 3 times per day. The biggest thing that your boyfriend can do is to change his diet to include fiber. This can be with drinks such as fibercon, fiber one or metamucil. He should also avoid fast foods as much as possible as the oils and the contents of these food can cause severe constipation.

At this point, your boyfriend can also try a tap water enema. If this does not help, I suggest that he attempt to ambulate for a few minutes and then try again to have a bowel movement. If this does not help then you can consider asking a physician for a prescription for a fleets phos pho soda enema.

If you have any more questions, then please feel free to ask. If the above answers your question, then please press the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for responding to your question. Adding a bonus and leaving positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Of course this suggestion is already our course of action as described in the original query. I would so like another option to try before calling the father, I MEAN the Doctor.
Doctor: E Sargent, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
E Sargent
E Sargent, Board Certified Physician
He must be very uncomfortable. Could you help me get information about your boyfriend? I would like to know his age, medical problems, any past surgeries, any medication/herbal/or health products he has taken in the last 7 days, when he last had a bowel movement, and has he had similiar problems with bowel movements before. Also, is he having any fever, chills or vomiting?
HouseDoc
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician