Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My Doctor will not prescribe me Adipex. He says I am just

Customer Question
My Doctor will not prescribe...
My Doctor will not prescribe me Adipex. He says I am just being Vain. However he isnt the one carrying around 50 extra pounds that makes me so friggin worn out daily. Either I have a fatique issue or I need to lose the weight. I have never had a weight issue before and now Im huge! 5'5 and 190. Im so tired when I get home from work that i cant even imagine excercising however I do try. I have the Wii Fit and a treadmil that I get on for about 30 min but Im just tuckered. I have had all the blood work done and no thyroid issue so he says.. what do I do. I eat low fat and low sodium. I do eat alot of veggies and I drink pleanty of Water. Im on Cymbalta... could this be the problem with my energy levels. Have to take it at night. makes me sleepy.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
8/27/2009
Doctor: Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
How long have you been on Cymbalta?
When did you first note your weight began to go up?
Is your weight distributed 'evenly' or are some areas worse than others (ex. neck, belly)?
What other blood tests, besides thyroid, were done?
How is your blood pressure?
Are you menstruating and are your periods regular?
Are you on an oral contraceptive?
Any other medications?
Almost 2 years
about a year ago
I have always had a flat stomach and my belly is huge
Im not sure about the blood tests. he just tells me I am fine. My cholest is good
blood pressure is good
yes periods are regular
no birth control. too old. never had children My guy is fixed. :)
no other meds except for pepcid and Advil an occasional Xanax .25mg. that he prescribed me.
Sounds like your thyroid was checked and there are "no thyroid issues".
However, if you only had your TSH checked (which is typically done) and not free T3 and T4, it may not be enough to say your thyroid is OK. It is possible to have a semi-subclinical hypothyroidism with TSH that is within normal limits and have low T4, which would cause weight gain and fatigue. Another issue is your belly fat. This pattern of weight gain, as opposed to hip and thigh area in women, can be familial but also can mean corticosteroid excess due to overactive adrenal gland. This usually means your blood pressure may be elevated, however, if you normally run pretty low and develop adrenal problem even if your BP goes up it can still be "normal".
Since your menstrual periods are regular, it would be unlikely for you to have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) which is one of the causes for 'unexplained' weight gain in women.
I would make sure there is absolutely no organic causes for your weight gain before you try to get Adipex prescription .
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Ok... not so concerned with Adipex now. Could I have Adrenal Fatigue? That is the first thing my sister said when I talked to her. I blew it off. But I am wondering.

My doctor is a jerk so I guess I need to find a new one. (he has no personality at all).

When I go see my doctor what should I say to him to make sure I get the right tests?
It's really up to you if you want to go back to him since he's at least somewhat indifferent.
There are several ways to evaluate adrenal function: urine, saliva, blood, etc.
They can order urinary free cortisol level, evening serum and salivary cortisol level, low-dose dexamethasone suppression test and dexamethasone–corticotropin-releasing hormone test.
As far as the thyroid, do the tests I mentioned if they have not been done. Ask for a copy of your results from him.
You can also ask him to refer you to an endocrinologist which is a hormonal gland specialist.
What is actually meant by adrenal fatigue is under-active adrenals.
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor