Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Could A Blood Blister On The Vagina Be An STD?

I have a blood blister...
I have a blood blister on the outer lip to the vagina, is this an STD or just a random blood blister?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2009
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD

Is the blister painful?
Have you ever had blisters in the vaginal area before?
What size is it?
And just to confirm, it is filled with blood, not a clear fluid?

No pain associated with the blister. No previous blisters in this area. No bigger than small pin head. And when busted, only blood was released, no clear fluid. I would say it bled alot, but no more than any other blood blister that I have ever busted.

Most likely it is a simple blood blister if you have no history of STD's such as herpes.

Typically, herpes causes ulcers or clear fluid filled blisters in the vaginal area and they are usually painful.

If you develop more, definitely get it checked out by your doctor.
I can't say for sure what it is without seeing it, but it is not a typical presentation of an STD. You may have developed a blister from friction.

OK, thanks for your input. Should there be cause for concern when having intercourse since I busted it? How long would be a reasonable amount of time for it to heal?

If you are monogamous, then I would not be concerned about STD. Otherwise, I would use protection until it heals.

It may become irritated during intercourse. I would expect it to heal within about 5-7 days.

Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
OK, thanks again.
You are welcome.