Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Can a herpes virus on your face make you sick all over and

Can a herpes virus on your face make you sick all over and joints hurt too and headaches...can it go internal???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 8 years ago.
Senior,

Do you have cold sores? Is this your first outbreak? Are they around the mouth?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi...I have type II h..p..but always on my back shoulders and eyes and this time on my cheeck...never had a cold sore in my life or a breakout anywhere else...this have been going on since I was 19 and now I am 67...I can get very very sick with this and run a fever and ache all over..the new meds..work well but are very expensive...cream is $135 a tube...I have been sort of ill since the last outbreak but my face is clear..could the virus be inside me and going to organs..hip...etc? also where are you I need a Dermatologist...I live in Scottsdale..thanks marlee
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 8 years ago.
This is a very atypical form of Herpes type 2.
I would also consider shingles, but I am assuming you have seen a doctor for this over the years and this has been ruled out.
Hopefully, the sores have been cultured and they have proven to be type 2 herpes.

Herpes infects nerves. It does not infect internal organs or joints but in patients who have difficulty fighting infection (cancer or AIDS) it can cause meningitis.

The outbreak could be causing your headache but it should not still be causing you to feel sick all over and it should not be causing joint pains at this time. You should see your family doctor or internist for evaluation--you may have another type of viral infection, arthritis, bacterial infection.

You can look up dermatologists in your area on webmd.com under the find a doctor section or ask your regular doctor for a referral.

I hope this is helpful for you. I strongly encourage you to see your doctor because your symptoms just don't all seem to fit together with the rash.

Dr Abby