How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I swallow food it feels like halfway down my esophagus

Resolved Question:

When I swallow food it feels like halfway down my esophagus I get really bad pain in my back. Should I go see my doctor and get an EGD?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

I think this would be a good idea. The pain might be associated with referred pain from esophageal spasm due to esophagitis for example.
I agree that consulting a gastroenterologist and considering an EGD is probably the way to go since this pain is associated with swallowing.In the meantime, I recommend that you avoid foods that might potentially further irritate the esophagus.

This list is while you heal and you may be more liberal , probably in a couple of months. For now avoid acidic foods including citrus fruits, tomatos, foods with tomato sauce, onions, peppers, and hot spicy foods. Also avoid alcoholic drinks and coffee. Avoid anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Advil and Aleve. (Tylenol is OK in that it will not irritate the GI tract)

Watch to see if you also have the pain when you swallow liquids or only solids. Be careful about meats>>> if you had a stricture then a chunk of meat might not pass.

You might have benefit to start OTC Prilosec 20 mg a day. Your doctor might prescribe something a little stronger but for now it can't hurt.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction thenplease press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am an RN, so I know this requires medical attention. I am experiencing it with liquids also. I recently had a bone graft done in my mouth and have been taking 600mg motrin around the clock (which I will stop). I believe my stool is also streaked with black and it concerns me it is coming from where I am feeling the pain. I will call my primary on monday...just looking for direction before I get there.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello again!

If with liquids as well it probably indicates a high degree of irritation. You may benefit from some Mylanta as well as the Prilosec. It would be an interesting rough test to see if a GI cocktail helped to stop the occurance of the back pain at least temporarily. For your mouth pain you can of course take Tylenol; Celebrex or Mobic would probably be tolerated if your doctor decided to prescribe one of these. Some Ultram or Ultracet might be a decent option if your doctor wanted to increase the pain control without going into the narcotics.

Just some additional thoughts...

Feel free to let me know if you have further questions.

Good Luck,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you