Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How do you build up your red-blood cell count

Customer Question
how do you build up your red-blood cell count
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2009
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago
Is this a problem you have? Are you anemic?
my red blood cell count was way to low
Can you give me the numbers? Was it iron deficiency anemia, or some other type?
Not sure of the number, it was 12 somenthing, not iron deficiency anemia. Don't know exactly what it was called/ They did give me one unit of blood and wanted to give me another but my viens have turned senistive and it was to painful.
Did they have any suggestions as to how to treat the anemia and as to why you seem to be losing blood? Your age, gender, medical conditions/meds?
No they had no suggestions about how to increase cell count, they said to talk to my providerl I should mention that i have Hep-C, cirrohis of liver and also cane down with cancer in my liver..I have had 4 chemo treatments since, two were of chemo immobilzation and two were chemo bland.
Your question is very difficult to answer simply. Your medical conditions can cause anemia by themselves. It really depends on the state of your bone marrow which would need to be evaluated with a biopsy. There are medications that can help weak marrow produce more red blood cells. Iron deficinecy anemia can be treated with extra iron supplementation. B 12 deficiency anemia can be treated with B 12 shots. In extreme cases, frequent blood transfusions may be needed. Your physicians should be able to discuss all the options with you.
Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor