How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 7827
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has sores all over her body, upper, lower, arms

This answer was rated:

my sister has sores all over her body, upper, lower, arms legs, she has been to several doctors. Recently clear liquid is comming out of a sore on her shin. one doctor said she had
encephaltis, but how does this account for all the sores on her body. When they first appeared, she had fever and headakes. Now her legs and ankles are swollen,with this clear liquid comming out

I am sorry to know about your sister symptoms.I will try to answer your questions.

To give you a honest answer,I need to ask you some questions.

Is your sister diagnosed with any medical condition?
is she on any medication?
what all tests have been done so far?
from how long are these symptoms?
when did she have fever and headaches ,how many days before?
did the fluid have any smell?
any history of travel?
anyone in family having similar symptoms?
what is age of your sister?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

high blood pressere. she is on high blood pressure med. she went to doctor recently,and is waiting for results. she has had these symptoms for eight years, but they just started to ooze on one shin. it was so bad it would fill up her shoe.but the pain has subsided because the swelling has gone down due to the drainage.she spent some time in the Philippnes could this be some kind of bacterial infection she picked up over there. these sores would itch and she would feel like she was on fire. fever and headaches started just before she got the sores. I do not know about the smell, she hasn't complained about an odor. no one in family has similer symptoms.her age is 59.


Please mention me exactly the name of blood pressure medication.
From how long is she taking?
I am assuming that she got fever and headache before 8 years as sores are there from last 8 years?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I don't know what her blood pressure medication is. she has been on it about year 6months.

she had fever and headache just before the sores and for several months after the s

ores came eght yrs. ago. I think she occasionally has an elevated temperature. she is

is a very privite person. I don't know everything. I'm trying to find out behind her back.

Thanks for answering my question from the information you are aware of.I really appreciate that.
Now as your sister has the open sores(blisters) from a long period of time so this seems most likely to be from skin pathology.Now if this sores would have opened after using medication then it would have been most likely medication induced.
Now there could be various possibilities which your dermatologist should rule it out.One of the possibilities could be acrodermatitis enteropathica which is a rare inherited malabsorption disorder where the body is unable to absorb zinc in adequate quantities.Me mentioning rare disease as your sister has already seen many physicians and they must have already ruled out most of the common causes. Other possibility could be aquagenous urticaria which is actually an allergy to water. People may even react to their own sweat and tears on their skin.Other possibility which also should be ruled by her physician is autoimmune vasculitis which is characterized by inflammation and damage to the blood vessels .It may present with petechiae,urticaria and ulceration. One other possible cause could be bullous pemphigoid which is a chronic, autoimmune skin disorder that involves large blisters. The blisters can occur in small areas on the body or can be quite widespread. The condition is more common in elderly people.
Other possibility as she has a history outsides USA,ask her physician to culture the exudates(draining fluid) to rule out possible infection.As tuberculosis can also present with similar symptoms.
Now my advise to you-Try to mention these possibilities to your sister and let her physician rule out these possible cause and hopefully she gets the diagnosis of her problem and get proper treatment.
Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

her sores are not blisters, but are red marks on the skin. she told me it all started eight yrs. ago when my sister and her housekeeper got into a squabble. the housekeeper had

a key to the house and she lived on a dairy. the housekeeper said that she had done something to my sister.when my sister put on her clothes she stated itching.

could this possibly have been some bacteria or virus?

Thanks for clarifying it.
Now as you asked whether it could be bacterial infection,chances are less to exist for 8 years,but still could be a possibility. Ask your physician to culture the fluid exudates from the sore to rule out such possibility. A viral infection to continue present symptoms for 8 years is less likely.
Now as you mentioned that your sister has red marks I am assuming that it is papules which could be from lichen planus which is a chronic mucocutaneous disease that affects the skin and the oral mucosa, and presents itself in the form of papules, lesions or rashes,so you can ask your physician to rule that out. One of the cause could be from bacillary angiomatosis (BA)which is a form of angiomatosis and caused by bacteria and can present with similar symptoms like your sister.Other possibility could be sebaceous hyperplasia which is a disorder of the sebaceous glands in which they become enlarged. These glands are located within the skin and are responsible for secreting an oily substance named sebum. Other cause could be keratosis pilaris which is a very common genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough red spots or bumps on the skin ,so mention this also to your physician to rule it out.
If you want I can recommend this question to dermatologist of just answer website,as for me patient priority is first.I will try to answer your question with my best and honesty.
Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor
Dr. B. and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you