Dr. Trepp
Dr. Trepp, Doctor
Experience:  M.D. Internal Medicine
19694963

Is a sodium level of 128 still considered low

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Trepp replied 8 years ago.
Hello. A sodium level is 128 is considered low. The normal range for sodium in the blood is around 135-145 (depending on the lab).

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

- Dr. Trepp
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My Dad's level went down to 120 and is now 128. We called 911, he seemed like he had a stroke. He doesn't have his short term memory and is still confused at times. He is also very weak. He is 80 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Trepp replied 8 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear about your father. Hyponatremia of 120 is very low, and can cause problems with the brain its self. Hyponatremia can make a person confused, so this may be part of what you are seeing. A sodium that is this low must be corrected slowly (not more then 10 per 24 hours) to prevent brain damage. There are many causes of hyponatremia, including problems with the brain, heart, and kidneys.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

- Dr. Trepp
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's been 7 days and his level have gone from 120-128. Hopefully they can get him up to where he should be at fairly soon. They have him on sodium pills now.
Expert:  Dr. Trepp replied 8 years ago.
I hope that your father continues to make progress. Replacing the sodium (IV or orally) is one of the treatments. Other treatments include placing the patient on a water restriction as usually hyponatremia is more of an excess of free water and not a deficit of salt. It sounds like they are slowly getting him back to where he needs to be.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

- Dr. Trepp