Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why can't I sleep lying flat?

why can't I sleep lying flat?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2009
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi
Can you be more specific? How old are you? Any oher medical problems or medicaions?

When I lay down to go to sleep at night I usually lay on my stomach or my side. I know this sounds silly but just as I am about to finally go to sleep often I will feel like there is a fluid running up into my throat and even into my head if that is possible. Some times I scares me and I jump up to a racing pulse but now that I am so use to it, I am very rarely startled and just sit up with no abnormalties in my pulse.

How old are you? Any other medical problems or medications? Any leg pain or swelling? Any chest pain?

I am 24 years old. I do not have any chest pains. I am not on any medications. Unfortunately I am a smoker. I smoke a pack every two days. I do not have any other problems except for when I am trying to sleep. All of activities are normal

Thanks for the additional informatino. It sounds like you have post nasal drip- this would account for the fluid running down the back of your throat when you lie down. People often complain of a throat irritation, difficulty breathing or even cough. Smoking actually makes this worse. The best way to treat this is to stop smoking and take a nasal decongestant, such as afrin. The afrin will help dry up the secretions in the nose to prevent the drip from occurring and irritating the back of your throat. If this doesn't work you may need to make an appointment with your doctor for some prescription steroid medication such as flonase.

best wishes

press the green accept button if this was helpful
can i ask one more question from you.... i understand the fluid in my throat could be caused by your response but what would be the cause of my feeling like fluid is runnin up my through like from my upper chest. it feels like the fluid come up my throat runs through the back of my throat and even into my head if that is even possible
Okay, well this actually could be caused by heartburn. Heartburn is also called GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). Other symptoms include regurgitation, difficulty swallowing and even chronic cough

Heart burn is caused by the reflux of acidic secretions from the stomach. As you lie down, there is no gravity to encourage the flow of gastric secretions out the bottom (or pyloric sphincter) of the stomach. So the secretions come up through the esophagus and into the chest. Some people complain of a cough at night or an usual sensation in the chest.

Treatment with the H2 blockers (such as pepcid- which you now can buy over the counter) and medications such as maalox and mylanta. If this does not work, you may need prescription H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors (PPI). Rarely do you need surgery (may be needed in the case of a hiatal hernia)

Common foods that can worsen reflux symptoms include

citrus fruits
chocolate
drinks with caffeine or alcohol
fatty and fried foods
garlic and onions
mint flavorings
spicy foods
tomato-based foods, like spaghetti sauce, salsa, chili, and pizza

As well you need to stop smoking. Avoid foods and beverages that worsen symptoms. Lose weight if needed. Eat small, frequent meals. Wear loose-fitting clothes. Avoid lying down for 3 hours after a meal. Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gerd/

If you have any black stool, bloody stool, severe burning, vomiting fevers or other concerns, you need to see a physician right away.

Press the green accept button if this has been helpful. Feedback and bonus are appreciated
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Thank you I am not usually a worrier and I dont complain about health related issues but someone told me this was a symptom of congestive heart failure and kind of got me worried thanks for your help I will accept
Well, if you were like 30 years old. Congestive heart failure would be incredibly unusual in someone like you. As well, you would have shortness of breath with exertion and leg swelling. Don't panic- you have years later to worry about it :)
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor