How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 34683
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Not sure if it is piles, worms or something else but for those

Customer Question

Not sure if it is piles, worms or something else but for those few seconds it stops me doing almost anything, i almost can't talk sometimes!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.



Do you have rectal pain?

If Yes, how frequent are they and how much do they last?

How old are you?

Male or female?


Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it happens about 1 inch up from my anus, it happens on rare occasoins ( 2-3 times a month ), usually only lasts 5-10 seconds but can be quite painful. I am a 21 year old male.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.



This does not look like hemorrhoids or worms. This can be proctalgia fugax. This is episodic pain in anorectal region, which resolve spontaneously. Levator ani syndrome or Coccycodynia or Chronic proctalgia are the other consideration for this pain. If the pain is persistent or frequent or last for long it would warrant an active treatment. Following treatment is advocated;


1) Pelvic electrical stimulation,

2) Injection of botulinum toxin

3) oral clonidine

4) local nitroglycerine

5) Levator ani massage


Please read the resource for the further details;


It would be prudent that you are evaluated by your physician who would do an anoscopy and proctoscopy which are office procedures for the pain of this kind.


Please feel free for your follow up questions.


Dr. Arun