Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Eyes and ears are sensitive to sound and light...I have a

Eyes and ears are sensitive to sound and light...I have a head ache in the middle/back of my head, and my left ear is ringing...I rarely get headaches...Is this serious?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
Can you describe the headache?

How old are you?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you taking any medications?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My headache is in the rear, lower, middle of my head. It hurts more when I stand up from a sitting position or lying down. I feel very slightly nauseous. 40. Not on any medications, no serious medical problems.
How long have you had this headache?

Is it "pounding" or "throbbing"?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Since Wed or Thu. It was barely noticable, then...got worse yesterday...Throbbing.
The description that you have provided would suggest a migraine headache. Migraine headaches are often described as throbbing headaches, associated with photophobia (sensitivity to light) and phonophobia (sensitivity to sound) and nausea. They are often associated with other symptoms including vision problems and dizziness.
http://www.migrainehelp.com/1.0.1.undiagnosed.html

There are a number of excellent medications that are effective in treating migraine headaches. I usually start with Imitrex (sumatriptan). I would suggest contacting your doctor, going to an urgent care clinic or an ER to have a definitive diagnosis and get a prescription for this medication.

Many patients do get relief with Advil (ibuprofen) however, since this has been going on for several days, it is much less likely that any over-the-counter medication is going to be effective.