Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a small blood clot behind the tonsil on the left

Customer Question
side. What has caused...
I have a small blood clot behind the tonsil on the left side. What has caused this? Do I need to be concerned? It has been there for about a month now.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/7/2009
Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
How old are you? Any other medical problems or medications?
Any difficulty swallowing?
Does it ever move?

I am a 62 year old female. I have chronic systemic candidiasis, herpes I and II, and thus a weakened immune system due to a doctor who in 1986 prescribed Tetracycline - 500 mg per day for my complexion and never stopped renewing the prescriptions for 8 years. It badly compromised my entire immune system. I have been diagnosed in the past with numerous food allergies.

I am having no difficulty swallowing. I might add that I breathe through my mouth a lot, especially at night and living in Phoenix, AZ it is extremely dry. I wake up with my mouth like sandpaper each morning. I have a mild sore throat that comes and goes and is mainly in the center of the throat and the left.

The only prescription drugs I take on a regular basis are: Armour Thyroid - 90 mg per day, Skelaxin 800 mg - 1 tablet 4 times a day, Bio-identical hormones 2 times a day and Zomig, 2.5 mg as needed only. I take supplements as well: Magnesium, L-Lysine, Potassium, Kava Kava, Meltatonin, 5-HTP, Chondr-Flex (glucosamine and condroitin), and amino acid powder 2 x per day due to a problem back in February where my red cell count was very low.

Is there anything else you need to know?

Does the blood clot ever disappear or does it ever move?
No...it doesn't move or disappear...it has been in the same spot...it seems to be a little smaller than it was initially.
Hi
I am not so convinced that it is a blood clot... a blood clot would have moved or been absorbed... it is more likely a small growth. There are many types of different oral lesions...
Oral pyogenic granulomas may appear in response to local irritation, trauma, or hormonal changes of pregnancy. This could also be a swelling of one of the tonsillary crypts from trapped material. Oral fibromas form as a result of irritation or masticatory trauma, especially along the buccal occlusal line. Oral cancer may appear clinically as a subtle mucosal change or as an obvious mass.

Any type of lesion in the mouth, however, needs to be checked out to make sure that it is not oral cancer. I would make an appointment to be seen by a head and neck surgeon as early as possible to make sure.

Best wishes

press the green accept button if this was helpful.
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor