Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar, Doctor
Experience:  Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
11855647

I am a 59 year old woman who has a creatinine level of 1 for

I am a 59 year old woman who has a creatinine level of 1 for the last 5 years. I had a microalbumin test 5 years ago and it was a 7.
Last week I was at the docs and he said he had new rules at Kaiser and had to state that I had 3 stage chronic kidney disease, which I had never heard of before.
The gfr was 57 and it was based on gender, age, creatinine and non-African American. I am German American and also muscular but the test does not take that ethnic variation into account. I assume that muscles throw off more creatinine.
Anyway, I was very upset even though he said not to worry. I don't see where the abnormal part in these tests are as the range is .6 to 1.1. My Bun was 16, other tests were normal except ALT was 39. Is the microalbumin test abnormal? Is it normal to have tests results like these at age 54 and 59? I am worried.
I found tests 12 years ago and the creatinine was .9 and later .8. I am wondering if I took too many chinese herbs or antibiotics since then to get this abnormal condition or if it is only age related.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 8 years ago.
well there is nothing to worry. it is normal to have this sort of kidney function with your age and muscle mass. stage 1 is above 90 which no one has. stage 2 is between 60-90 where most people and young adults fall. less than 60 is stage 3. nothing needs to be done as such except no NSAIDs, drink plenty of water, control blood pressure or sugar if any. microalbumin is usually less than 30 normal.it is age related mostly.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My doctor said the 7 mocroalbumin was slightly abnormal and that I have mild kidney disease. It is normal to have what he is calling mild kidney disease at this age? Am I different than most people my age? Itr seems like Kaiser wants to label people with Chronic Kidney Disease for some reason. Do I have Chroninc Kidney disease?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does this progress to stage 3 and beyond under normal conditons when you take care of yourself?
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 8 years ago.
well yes it chronic kidney disease and not much different from others at your age. the value for micro is different from different labs so reference range is required. you should be on lisinopril to prevent further kidney damage and reduce microalbumin.   labeling is for billing purposes . if you control blood pressure and diabetes , drink plenty water and no NSAIDs it should be stable.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the range for micro was <30 and creatinine was .6 to 1.1.

I don't tolerate medicines basically at all - am hypersensitive, so is it alright without lisinopril? Medications are a real problem for me.
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 8 years ago.
well if you have microalbuminuria - research studies have proven benefit from lisinopril . so you should be on it. level of micro should be kept less than 30
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have micro, my level is 7 and it has to be over 30 according to the lab test to be considered as having it. I was just concerned and wondering what it means to have a number 7 on the test. Is any number other than 0 abnormal and a sign of disease or just age?
If I do the steps you outlined, does this level stay put in most cases under 30?
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 8 years ago.
EVEN WITH LEVEL 7 THERE IS SOME PROTEIN LOSS AND THAT NEED TO BE PREVENTED.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry to have so many questions, but I am trying to determine if most folks who are older and have a creatinine level of 1 also have some protein in their urine as a result of just the aging process.
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 8 years ago.
it is possible as the kidney function declines with age. Also depend on co -existing medical problems like diabetes, hypertension, underlying kidney disease and excessive exercise.