Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
4968719

I have a Hematoma from a fall, how can I get rid of it and

I have a Hematoma from a fall, how can I get rid of it and how can I get rid of all the bruises?

Thank you for submitting your question.

If you have a large hematoma, it will take some time for your body to reabsorb all the blood. In the meantime, avoid putting pressure on the hematoma(e.g. if the hematoma is on your right hip, avoid lying on the right side). Pressure can cause the hematoma to enlarge. In addition, if you are taking a blood thinner(e.g. aspirin, coumadin), you may want to talk to you physician about stopping the blood thinner for a while until the hematoma resolves.

Applying warm compresses to the hematoma/bruises can speed up their resolution- moist heat increases blood circulation which helps clear up bruises. Use a moist, warm towel on the affected area 10-20 minutes three times a day should be effective.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The Hematoma is on my head left temple. Didn't know you could get one on the hip. Is the treatment the same? Thank you.

Yes, moist heat should help.

Hematoma is simply a big bruise. Any part of the body can be affected. As your hematoma resolves, you may notice some bruising in your chin area- don't be alarmed. That's simply old blood being drained by gravity.