Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I feel like my throat is swelling shut, their feels like

Customer Question
something is pulling my eyelids...
i feel like my throat is swelling shut, their feels like something is pulling my eyelids and drawing them at times, i have periodic hand tremors, restlesslegs syn. and random body jerking while at rest. my writing is now awful sometimes i cant write at all due to the hand tremors and my memory isnt what it once was. i am 44 and was diagnosied with sarcodosis via biopsy ten years ago, i also have bone involvement. thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
5/18/2009
Doctor: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
The multiple symptoms that you are suffering from suggests two things:

One is that you could be suffering from a condition which causes multiple symptoms, like a neurological disorder or connective tissue disorder. The second is that there is probably a lot of psychological overlay to your problems which is compounding them.

There are various syndromes that can present with such multiple neurological symptoms. You need to be investigated for these. They are:
  • Autoimmune connective tissue disorders
  • Post-infectious encephalomyelitis
  • Primary CNS Vasculitis
  • Lyme Disease
  • Tropical Spastic Paraparesis
  • Vit. B12 Deficiency and Tertiary syphilis
  • Leukodystrophies of Adulthood
  • Hereditary degenerative disorders
  • Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy

You should consult a neurologist for this. You should discuss about these conditions with him.

At the same time, you are very likely to be having some psychological problems like depression and anxiety. You should also consider the option of a psychiatrist consultation. Psychological diseases are as much diseases as physical diseases. We need to get them treated as matter of factly as we treat a physical disease. The proper specialist for treating a psychological condition is a psychiatrist. You must approach a psychiatrist and discuss your symptoms with him. There are a wide range of drugs like antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs which will no doubt help you to regain control of your life.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
i looked up all the diseases u listed.many were in regards ***** ***** under 12. i am 44 and have been a nurse for over 22 years. i appreciate your help but if u check out each one u will note they actually dont match my symptoms. my hands have had tremors for over a year now while at rest variou body parts will jerk or tremors will occur in my feet. there r times when my tongue is so thick i cant hardley talk. both my mds have seen me when this has been going on. the the thing that is the worst is the feeling of my throat closing shut. i have an appt with my pulmonoligst in june who will refer me to a neurologist. my med md wants me to see an ent for i biopsy, she has suggested huntingtons but there is no family history. i personnaly feel like my symptoms point to parkinsons. any further thoughts would be appreciated. thanks
These are all differential diagnoses and all of these are not applicable for you.

But several like heriditary degenrative disorders, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, primary cnc vasculitis, etc. would present with similar symptoms.

The list would help you mainly in discussing with your doctors about possible causes of yur symptoms and whether the neurologist feels that these are possibilities.

Parkinson's is not very likely at your age. It usually occurs after 50, most commonly around 60. Also, while tremor is an important symptom of parkinson's disease, there are other important factors like rigidity and decreased movement which you do not have.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD