Medical

61 YR. OLD RN, BUT CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT MY PROBLEM IS AND…

Customer Question
I AM A 61 YR...
I AM A 61 YR. OLD RN, BUT CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT MY PROBLEM IS AND I AM REALLY STARTING TO WORRY. I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH NEUROPATHYS IN MY FEET, HYPERTENSION WHICH IS UNDER CONTROLAND DELAYED GLUCOSE TOLERANCE. I STARTED SEVERAL YEARS AGO WITH BURNING, NUMBNESS AND PAIN IN MY TOES AND ABOUT A FOURTH OF MY FOOT. I HAVE BEEN TO MY PRIVATE... Read full answer
I AM A 61 YR. OLD RN, BUT CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT MY PROBLEM IS AND I AM REALLY STARTING TO WORRY. I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH NEUROPATHYS IN MY FEET, HYPERTENSION WHICH IS UNDER CONTROLAND DELAYED GLUCOSE TOLERANCE. I STARTED SEVERAL YEARS AGO WITH BURNING, NUMBNESS AND PAIN IN MY TOES AND ABOUT A FOURTH OF MY FOOT. I HAVE BEEN TO MY PRIVATE PHYSICIAN, A PODIATRIST, A CHIROPRACTOR AND FINALLY A NEUROLOGIST. I HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED SEVERAL ANTISEIZURE MEDS. WHICH ARE PRESCIBED FOR NEUROPATHY. NONE HAVE HELPED. NOW I HAVE TO TAKE ULTRAM AND PERCOCET BECAUSE THE PAIN GETS SO SEVERE I CAN'T TOLERATE IT I TIMES. MOST OF TEH TIME I CAN DESCIBE THE AS ELECTRIC SHOCK TO PORTIONS OF MY FEET AND SOMETIMES INTO MY LEGS. I HAVE HAD MANY LABS DRAWN AND A NERVE STIMUALATION TEST THAT SHOWS I HAVE NO FEELING IN MY TOES BUT LOTS OF FEELING THE REST OF MY FEET AND LEGS. MY PROBLEM NOW IS MY TOENAILS ARE BECOMING PURPLE AND THEN MY TOENAILS COME OFF. AT THIS TIME BOTH OF MY BIG TOENAILS ARE PURPLE.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 day by:
4/28/2009
Doctor: Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 10 years ago
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi
Have you had any vascular exams to determine the blood flow to your feet?
Any injuries?
Relist: No answer yet.

THE ONLY TEST I,VE HAD IS THE NERVE STIMULATION TEST ( I'M NOT SURE OF THE EXACT NAME ). I HAVE VERY STRONG PULSES IN BOTH MY FEET AND

EXCEPT FOR MY TOENAILS GOOD COLOR. MY TOES AND FEET ARE NOT COLD TO TOUCH. A COUPLE OF MY FELLOW NURSES THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE A FUNGUS OF SOME KIND SO I STARTED USING AN ANTIFUNGAL CREAM BUT CAN'T SEE MUCH DIFFERENCE AT THIS POINT. THE ANTISEIZURE MED. HAS NOT HELPING AT ALL SO I WEANED MYSELF OFF AND STOPPED THOSE SINCE I'VE BEEN TAKING THEM FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS WITHOUT IMPROVEMENT. I'VE ALSO

CUT MY CARBS. AND WHITE FOODS IN HALF. I WAS TOLD THERE MIGHT NOT BE IMPROVEMENT FROM THIS BUT SHOULD NOT GET WORSE. I,M REALLY TIRED OF TAKING NARCOTICS FOR THE PAIN AND BURNING IN MY FEET AND HOPE

THERE IS ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE.

THERE IS ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE. I FORGOT THERE WAS NO INJURY THAT I CAN REMEMBER. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!!

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My wife has severe pain on the bottoms of all 10 toes --
my wife has severe pain on the bottoms of all 10 toes -- sometimes when she is offf her feet. She is age 73 but otherwise healthy … read more
Doctor,
I have ingrown toenails and have seen two podiatrist about
I have ingrown toenails and have seen two podiatrist about this problem. Neither has resolved it and the toes are almost constantly sore especially when I am out walking for a while. Would soaking my … read more
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Consultant Physician,
Post graduation (Liverpool, U.K.)
Basu - My dad's right toe is red, swollen and he has some
Hi Dr. Basu - My dad's right toe is red, swollen and he has some pain on the right side on the edge of the nail. He had the same issue last year and the doctor said it was acute paronychia.Please see … read more
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Physician,
Stop searching for answers—
My baby toe is pushing itself under my fourth toe. The pain
My baby toe is pushing itself under my fourth toe. The pain is intense. How can this problem be treated?… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I've been previously diagnosed with plantar facititus (ms) &
I've been previously diagnosed with plantar facititus (ms) & wear special shoes for that condition. Recently, I've been having burning/stinging pain the the balls of my feet & toes. Yes, I have type 2… read more
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
I have been having alot of pain in both of my heels. It is
Good Evening! I have been having alot of pain in both of my heels. It is very hard to walk first thing in the morning, but then usually eases up. However, the last few days the ache is constant. My to… read more
Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun
Senior Registrar Dept of Urology,
Pursuing Masters
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have been having upper body stiffness, my feet and toes
I have been having upper body stiffness, my feet and toes are freezing along with the toenails being discolored constantly, and some dizziness and vision problems.… read more
Doctor,
I have had chronic pain on the top of my foot, I can see a
I have had chronic pain on the top of my foot, I can see a large bump on both, and when I touch them it hurts. When I walk, it keeps me from being flexible, for instance i can no longer stand on my to… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
What causes sharp toe pain?. i am a type 2 diabetic. i don't
what causes sharp toe pain? . i am a type 2 diabetic. i don't think that is what is causing the problem. it is only in my toes.… read more
Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh
Physician,
RT. LARGE TOE HAS BEEN INFLAMMED, EXTREMELY PAINFUL, UNABLE
RT. LARGE TOE HAS BEEN INFLAMMED, EXTREMELY PAINFUL, UNABLE TO NOW WEAR SHOES, HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR SEVERAL YEARS. SEEN BY MANY M.D.'S UNABLE TO DX; HAVE HAD EVERY TOPICAL CREAM, TX, EVEN HAD TOENAIL… read more
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Over a period of years my toenails have been getting more
Over a period of years my toenails have been getting more and more invaded by a whiteish material collecting under my toenails . It affects my big toenails the worst ; these are also ingrowing and dis… read more
IMDR06
IMDR06
Attending Physician,
I would like to soak my feet in warm water with epsom salt
I would like to soak my feet in warm water with epsom salt because of my ingrown nails. My toes is becoming purple already and it very painful. Is it OK to do this even if I am diabetic. Can you pleas… read more
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
M.B.B.S
Stop searching for answers—
Feet are constantly in pain, calves, arches and toes cramp
feet are constantly in pain, calves, arches and toes cramp and spasm several times a day. x-ray shows nothing and cannot get anyone to do mri or refer me to a podiatrist. orthopedic put me in a cast f… read more
Dr. Salar
Dr. Salar
Hospitalist/ Internist,
I have extra skin growing all over my toes,thick, turns,
I have extra skin growing all over my toes,thick, turns white, doesn't itch or crack. Have used meds for athlete's foot but does nothing to make it go away.… read more
Cosmetic Doctor
Cosmetic Doctor
Private practice,
I am a diabetic and so I try to watch my feet for issues.
I am a diabetic and so I try to watch my feet for issues. Unfortunately, I had a pedicure several weeks ago and they put color polish on (which I do not normally). I evidently did not notice until las… read more
Doctor,
I am 65, no diabetes and have been experiencing a numbness
I am 65, no diabetes and have been experiencing a numbness in BOTH feet around the toes and balls of feet for past 6 months....no pain as yet. Blood tests are reasonably normal. Had been using a tread… read more
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Neurologist,
I am diabetic with neuropathy in my feet. story short, my
i am diabetic with neuropathy in my feet. Long story short, my left toe, which is kind of "bent" due to an old breakage, is suddenly slightly red and swollen, and toenail somewhat purple. No line, ulc… read more
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Primary Care Physician,
24 y/o pt. reports with numbness and tingling in his 5th 4th
24 y/o pt. reports with numbness and tingling in his 5th 4th and 3rd digit on both feet. his great to and 2nd digit on both feet are extremely painful and the nail beds are purple suggesting bleeding.… read more
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Neurologist,