Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am an IV drug user, and after I did it one day on my right

Customer Question
arm, my thumb and 2...
I am an IV drug user, and after I did it one day on my right arm, my thumb and 2 fingers got realllllly swollen. BIG TIME, they are looking better now, What happened? and also a noticed about a week ago my right foot and lower calf is numbness and tingling. Please tell me this is nothing serious
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
4/25/2009
Doctor: Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)

How long are you having this?

Did you have any test or treatment?

Did you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
The hand thing just happened today-
the leg thing I dont know it just happened all of a sudden about a week ago-
I had gastric bypass weight loss surgery 2 years ago, got a stricture and have a feeding tube in my tummy (G tube) cause I got too thin.
I dont shoot up every single day- but have been for the last 7 days in a row- and off and on for 6 months
Thank you for the information,

The swelling of the thumb & the 2 fingers can be due to an infection or collection of blood or hematoma. .

The numbness of the foot & calf are related to nerve impulses .

It can be due to pinching of a nerve or its root any where in its course.

The other causes are low calcium or electrolytes, vitamins , thyroid diseases, diabetes, or other nerve diseases.

When you have gastric bypass with loss of weight a possibility of vitamin deficiency like Vitamin B 12 is there.

This can cause the feeling of numbness.

You need to see doctor for an examination & find out the cause.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
My friend said it could be a blood clot,from my drug use
Blood clot can occur after IV drug use.

The swelling usually then occurs from below the site of injection.

If you have injected in a vein near to wrist then it is also possible.
How would I know if its a blood clot?
The vein will become firm to hard to feeling like a cord like.

But the exact diagnosis will need an examination by doctor.

He can do doppler study of blood flow through the veins to confirm it.'

Sometimes angiography is also required too.
there is no "Vein" i use normally that could be clotted, I just figured with the numb leg and swollen 3 fingers all on the same side...I dont know
after I shoot up that one time today in my arm (crook of arm) my hand felt really funny, hurt kind of- than the 3 fingers got soooo huge and uncomfy. they are still fat but not as bad,
no one knows i use the drugs this way and I am scared to goto the doc and tell them all of this to check for a clot-
what should I do
wait to see if my hand gets better?
do you think its most likley my leg numbness had nothing to do with this because it started awhile ago and my fingers today?
Though they are on the same side , I feel they are not related.

That of the hand is a complication of injection.

This can be an hematoma,clot or infection.

But you should not shy off. You need to get it examined by doctor to avoid complication.

You can get it checked in urgent care.
lt;p>IF i goto the urgent care wont I get in trouble for drug use? Its not on any records and I've never been in trouble-</p><p>I dont want ne one to know</p>
Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)