How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Singh Your Own Question
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6496
Experience:  Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Singh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like a good stretch for the iliocostalis thoracis

Resolved Question:

I would like a good stretch for the iliocostalis thoracis muscle. I pulled my hip flexor a few weeks ago while running and kept running. Now I am experiencing pain in the iliocostalis thoracis muscle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 8 years ago.
Your symptoms indicate muscle strain due to excessive straining. Treatment is ice application, rest, Ibuprofen 600 mg 3-4 times a day, and drinking plenty of clear fluids. The involved muscle should be rested till the pain resolves.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have rested it and have applied both heat and ice, heat more though, have been taking NSAID and ibuprofen, also had a MD evaluate.
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 8 years ago.
Does the pain responds to NSAIDs? Did the pain started immediately after the exercise?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it does respond to the NSAID, pain started in the hip flexor a day or so after running, then pain developed into the iliocostalis thoracic and lumorum area; once in awhile in will shoot back down into the hip flexor, not that often though. As stated though, it does respond very well to the NSAID's.
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 8 years ago.
Okay. Most likely it is musculoskeletal pain that responds to NSAIDs. So the most appropriate treatment plan at this time is to wait and watch and continue resting the muscle till the pain resolves. If the pain persists for more than 6-8 weeks, you should go back to your doctor to get some tests done eg Ultrasound, blood tests for inflammation, infection etc.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I did have all the blood work done, all negative. Doctor suggested to give it time also and felt sure that it was muscle related and if it continues to have an ultrasound done.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr Singh replied 8 years ago.
Alright, then that should be the right plan for you.
All the best!
Dr Singh and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you