Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My husband had a CBC done last week and the Dr. called and…

My husband had a CBC...
My husband had a CBC done last week and the Dr. called and said his testosterone levels were low, i would like some more info on this it was 304
3/27/2009
Anjali
Anjali, Doctor
HelloCustomerbr />
Testosterone levels between 300- 400 is considered low. But 300 is normal for aged person like in 60 but definetly low for a person in 30.

Diseases or abnormalities of the testes, pituitary gland and hypothalamus can cause low levels of testosterone. Also some genetic condition can be associated.
Medicines like steroid and morphine can decrease the levels.

A detailed investigation should be done to find the cause and for further treatment.

For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK & BONUS is always appreciated.
_______________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.

Ok let me ask this then, he's 35, and he takes Allegra D 24 everyday, he had been cutting the pill in half and taking it and I just was told by the pharmacist he shouldn't be doing that cuz its causing the drug to be administered all at once instead of over a 24 hour period. Well he's been doing that for about 4-6 month.....could this have an affect on that? Also he had a vericose vein remove from his testicles about 12 years ago and also had something done with a "twisted nut" i'm sure thats not the medical term

I just don't know if i want him to start getting shots once a month for this if there could be something underlying causing this.

Varicocele of scrotum increases the local temperature due to abnormal flow of blood and can affect fertility.
It can also affect testosterone production &l the long term effects of compromised circulation may interfere with normal male androgen production.

Testicular torsion if untreated can affect fertility.

Since both the conditions are treated so this cannot be attributed to low levels in him.

You should get detailed investigation done.

And he can go for testosterone supplement by shot or pills ,whatever his doctor prescribes.

_______________________________________

Since i didn't understand anything you just wrote....

Do you think that him taking the allegra as he did could cause a problem like this?

No ,allegra will not cause low testosterone levels.

_______________________________________

so a number of 304 for a man at 35 is alarming? What about motrin 800 or Vicodin, he has been taking that for his shoulder?

Motrin contains ibuprofen & vicodin contains acetaminophen with hydrocodone.
Both these drugs cannot cause low levels.

_______________________________________
I guess i'm just confused as to what causes this then? If he had blood work and that is the only thing that was alarming to her what would cause something like that? I'm sorry i'm just concerned that its something serious that is causing this and I want some reassurance.
Lack of exercise, unhealthy diet, smoking, excessive drinking ,inflammation of the testicles,or an kind of damage to testicles ,radiation exposure ,inflammation ,cancer and some autoimmune diseases of the pituitary and hypothalamus are all causes of low testosterone.

Hormone replacement is the best option.

I know & can understand your concern ,but you should atleast take the hormone treatment first .
The solution of problem is not to worry but to get treated.

_______________________________________

Wouldn't there be other increased levels in his blood work?

There can be .But not always. For example in pituitary tumours one can get prolactin levels increased. But dont take this personal this is just an example.

He should get a semen examination done to know the sperm count & motility.
AS low testosterone can affect the count.

I know & can understand your concern but the solution is to get treated & no tension please.

_______________________________________

well at least i'm done needing the sperm 3 kids already

Thanks for your help, i have place a call into his dr. since him being the man he is, didn't ask all the question i was hoping he would, so hopefully she will call back soon and i can ask the questions. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

What do you mean by no tension please?

I thought you are trying to conceive ,so i suggested you to not to take tension .
Sorry i misunderstood.
Best luck .

_______________________________________
Anjali
Anjali, Doctor
Anjali
Anjali
Anjali, Doctor