Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

how long and what to do for a removed trach it has been since

how long and what to do for a removed trach it has been since 2/23/09 removed    not closed yet    still coughing up mucus   especially after eating   the patient is a very emotional person and thinks he will never heal   he has ninsso his surgeon wont see him he has gone to er nu
Usually the tracheostomy stoma will heal up within two weeks after removal of the tracheostomy tube.

Since it has been more than three weeks since then, there is little chance of healing by itself.

However, simply giving one or two stitches is sufficient to cause the stoma to heal up. It is a very simple procedure and there is no chance that it will not heal up.

You have to consult your doctor for this. Your doctor can put the stitches which will ensure quick healing. If you cannot get your regular doctor, you should consult another doctor or go to the ER.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
you didnt answer how long it will be before the mucus will stop and his throat on the inside will heal he always has a sore throat and still coughs up mucus especially after eating he is a singer and is now depressed the obstruction caused some damage (it was a tooth insert, jagged) to vocal cords he is also horse the reason i couldnt finish my question my laptop is very touchy and it sent without my whole question he is also starting to drink and i think this is making ALL much worse any suggestions would very appreciated
For the mucous to heal, the tracheostomy must first be closed up.

No one can give a time frame as to how soon or late the mucous will stop without knowing what is causing the mucous to form. For this, he needs to see a doctor, preferably a chest specialist, to diagnose the cause of his excessive mucous and then to treat it.

Hence you should approach a doctor, firstly to close up the tracheostomy stoma, and secondly to treat his cough and mucous.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could the alcohol drinking prevent the healing and the mucus to continue???
Yes, alcohol is known to lead to poor wound healing. It can also cause recurrent chest infections.

He should stop the alcohol for this. But besides this, you have to approach a doctor so that it can be stitched.