Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Which is better for your health red wine or grape juice

3/7/2009
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Well, this is still an area of research in the medical community.

What can be said for sure is that both of these drinks will have health benefits for you.

The flavonoids in grape juices and wine have been shown to help prevent atherosclerotic disease (which causes heart attacks and strokes). So drinking either will help you to get that protective substance.

However, the alcohol in wine may confer slight additional benefits - including possible slight blood thinning, which reduces the risk of blood clots forming (and subsequent stroke and heart attacks).

But alcohol use (especially heavy use) is shown to actually make you at higher risk of diseases -- such as heart attacks, strokes, breast cancer, liver diseases, etc.

So, in moderation, all things being equal, the red wine may be a little better for you, but both are equally as good in helping with cardiovascular risk reduction.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Goldberg, IJ, Mosca, L, Piano, MR, Fisher, EA. Wineand Your Heart: A Science Advisory for Healthcare Professionals From the Nutrition Committee, Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, and Council on Cardiovascular Nursing of the American Heart Association. Circulation 2001; 103:472.

The official statement of the American Heart Association Science Advisory in 2001:

"Moderate intake of alcoholic beverages (one to two drinks per day) is associated with a reduced risk of CHD (Coronary Heart Disease) in populations. There is no clear evidence that wine is more beneficial than other forms of alcohol, although further research is needed. If wine does have additional effects, it appears that many of the same additional biological effects may be achieved with grape juice. Despite the biologic plausibility and observational data in this regard, it should be kept in mind that these are insufficient to prove causality. Although moderate use of wine and other alcohol-containing beverages does not appear to lead to significant morbidity, alcohol ingestion, unlike other dietary modifications, poses a number of health hazards. Without a large-scale, randomized, clinical endpoint trial of wine intake, there is little current justification to recommend alcohol (or wine specifically) as a cardioprotective strategy."