Khan
Khan, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor
8433728

My throat has been hurting me for more than a month, i thought

Customer Question

My throat has been hurting me for more than a month, i thought it was work stress and talking, or because of smoking. 2 weeks ago i visited the doctor (generalist) he said i had a an infection, gave me some antibiotics and pain killers for a week, i did take them for a week, but my throat still hurted me, and was red at the back top left corner. i visited another doctor 4 days ago, and he said, i shouldn't have been taken antibiotics, what i have is allargies from the weather, so he gave me antiallargi, antinflamatory, and nasel decongester, 4 days on the medicne now, i still feel the same and the back of my throat still hurts, the redness is still there, i am scared to death, i have red all the articles over the net and everything points to throat cancer! please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Khan replied 8 years ago.
Hi vindictive,
Cancer is very low on probable causes of your throat problem, but whenever general practicioners can not solve your problems, its time to go to a specialist. Please see an ENT. Before you go, you may want to take a dose of difulcan. You may have pharyngitis caused by a fungal infection. Antitiotics or allergy medications would not help this.
If this does not work, then I would consider something of viral origin like CMV...
Cancer should be the absolute last consideration, because it does not present with redness and sore throat.   However your ENT doc can do some simple imaging to make sure you dont have anytype of mass.

I hope that helps, Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" button so I can get credit for answering your questions. A bonus and good feedback would be very appreciated.
Thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dr. Khan,

Thanks for replying, Well the second Dr. i visited was a specialist ENT. he's the one that said i shouldn't have taken antibiotics, and gave me the allargy meds. the medcine is for a week, this is my 4th day i am worried because i haven't felt any change, i have tried salt n water, strepcelss. green tea n honey. i still haven't cut down on the smoking, i do smoke 2 pack aday sometimes first thing in the morning on an empty stomache, it's bad i know, but i am still very worried, i have read several articles and all said sore throats not treated within 2 weeks could be cancerous.

Expert:  Khan replied 8 years ago.
Yes it could be, but cancer presents more with difficulty swollowing, because of a mass in your throat and your smoking is a risk factor.
But you really need to be tried on difulcan, and even acyclovir if your current meds aren't workying to make sure its not viral or fungal...
I also agree with you. You should have had some response (not complete) by 3 days of treatment.
Thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thanks Dr. i'll run those meds you recommended by my ENT tomorrow, let's hope this works. you've been a good help.