Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

SEVERE PAIN IN LEFT SIDE ABOVE WAIST

Customer Question

SEVERE PAIN IN LEFT SIDE ABOVE
WAIST
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Can you describe where the pain is in more detail is it on to your ribs or in your left mid abdomen or lower abdomen. Do you have any change in your bowel habits. Do you have any muscle strain or medical history
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is a severe lower pain along the left side of the individual right above the waist. The individual is a 54 year old women. The severe pain is described to be cramp-like. There is no medical history.
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
Above the waist indicates to me that this might be either a problem with the stomach on the left side or possibly put less likely the pancreas. You may have a gastritis or an inflammation of the stomach or an ulcer. Pancreatitis most likely would be associated with alcohol or a gallstone. If this pain persists a simple blood test can exclude that. Also pain in the left side around the waist may come from spasm of the large bowel. If the pain persists you must see your doctor or the emergency room if it is severe in order to rule out any significant problems.

Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think this individual is experiencing the symptoms of Gallstones as she is complaining of constant severe pain of her lower left side. She has vomited several times over the span of two to three hours and also complains of the chills. The severe pain has expanded to her lower left back side. Do these symptoms apply to Gallstones?
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
The gallbladder is on her right side in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. She could have diverticulitis which is an inflammation of the bowel or she could have any kidney stone. Also with the chills and vomiting she may have a viral gastroenteritis. If a stone from the kidney is causing this she should be checked in the emergency room and as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I appreciate your time and efforts in solving my problem. However, I am not satisfied with your answers. I am still just as clueless with the source of this problem as I was before I began this session. I would like a full refund.
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
The person should examined immediately.I don't care if you accept or not but she should get medical help immediately from what you describe. I don't expect to give you the diagnosis over the internet but rather make suggestions that you may or may not follow.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is fine. I appreciate your efforts, however, I still would prefer a full refund as I am not satisfied.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can I get the full refund that I requested?