How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Wu Your Own Question
Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1835
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Wu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Movement in lower stomach but not pregnant

Resolved Question:

I am feeling movement in my lower stomach or pelvis. I have a negative pregnancy test but have not had my period for 2 months. I stopped birth control pills 2 months ago but my husband has been the one using protection. Why do i feel this movement and why can't I get my period?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 8 years ago.

Hi Customer,

Thank you for submitting your question. First of all, it is not uncommon for women to not have menstrual cycles for a few months after stopping birth control. The body needs to regulate itself. This can last up to 3-4 months.

Since your pregnancy test is negative, the movement in your lower stomach is not from a fetus. In addition, fetal movement is usually felt at around 18-20 weeks. Even if you are pregnant, the fetus is too small to produce any discernable movement.

In most people, the sensation of "movement" in the abdomenal area is from gas. This makes the most sense because nothing else in the abdomen actually moves except for the intestine moving feces and gas through the bowels. If your sensation is more consistent with pressure and your abdomen is actually getting bigger, then an ultrasound should be done( to rule out fibroid for example).

I hope this is helpful to you

Dr Wu and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you