How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Singh Your Own Question
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 466
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Singh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a burning sensation in my right ankle and upper

Resolved Question:

I have a burning sensation in my right ankle and upper ankle. I played football and basketball and im 32 years old. The burning sensation occures when i stand up for long periods of time. This is the second time this happens to me in the last 12 months . What should i do to alleviate the pain?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 8 years ago.


welcome to justanswer and thanks for your question

is the joints swollen?any tenderness or pain during pressing?

is there painful sensation in joints?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its a little swollen. No pain when i press. No pain in the joint when movement occurs. The swelling is in the high part of the ankle
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 8 years ago.

i suspect you may have a sprain ,however i suggest you to visit your doctor for clinical evaluation to eliminate possibilities of other causes(ie autoimmune illness).as you are a basketball/football player i uspect it may be a sprain(ie strech or tear of the ligament)

i give you some advice that will help and provide relieve :

Normally NSAID's and Analgesics are used to decrease pain and swelling.
Advil or Motrin twice/day for 5-7 days with Acetaminophen .

at present i suggest you to give rest to your leg muscles any vigrous movements can result in more inflamation.

apply ice pack (this will reduce pain, sweeling and inflammation in injured muscles, joints and connective tissues.

Compress the area with an elastic bandage until the swelling stops and don't wrap it too tightly or you may hinder circulation. if you feel the pain/swelling have increased ,just loose the bandage.

here's an excellent link by mayoclinic with some other methods of treatment.

if the symptoms still persist ,a consultation with an orthopedic or a sports injury specialist will be benificial in your case as manual examination by the doctor will help in predicting the prognosis and time for recovery

i hope this information is useful.


Please click "ACCEPT" if I answered your question to your satisfaction .POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS will be highly appriciated.

Dr Singh and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dear: Dr. Jay

That is exactly what i though it was, I just needed a doctor to confirm it.

Your feedback was very helpful.

Thank you

***** *****