Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Have just backed it into position turned it off and when I…

Have just backed it...

Have just backed it into position turned it off and when I went to go again the power steering light came on with a warning and the car won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I have not heard any unusual sounds and am not sure when the fluid was checked ( probably a year ad it’s warrant is nearly due .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

It’s a sp3 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it always has a professional service ... I have just tried starting it and the engine just clicks

3/22/2020
Mazda Mechanic: AMD, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
AMD
AMD, Master Technician

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Mazda question, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Mazda today. Allow me to assist. Give me a moment while I review your request and write down my answer.

Just to verify, when you attempt to start the engine. Do all the lights come on but all you hear is a click and the vehicle doesn't start?

OK Thank you. Looking at the information you've provided I believe we have one of two problems here. The most likely case is a weak battery. When you start your car the starter that turns the engine over consumes alot of energy and a weak battery won't be able to support that. That's why when you turn the key on you see lights but when you try to start it the click sound you hear is the starter motor trying to turn but don't have enough power to do so. If you can get a jump from another vehicle or if you have access to a jumper pack your car should start right up and stay running. I'd have the battery tested and replaced as needed after that. 2nd possible issue here if the jump start doesn't help is a possible faulty starter. At that point you'd need to get a bit more involved in testing the starter and go from there. If you have always had your vehicle professionally serviced then Id try to jump start it first, if this doesn't resolve the issue have it towed to your normal service center for diagnosis of the starter. If the vehicle starts with a jump start then you are safe to drive it home however there's a good chance that once you get home the vehicle might not start again so get ready to jump it again until the battery is addressed.

Thank you for choosing Justanswer.com Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any further assistance. We are here for you.

I will have to wait as I need to talk to my husband

Sounds good. Take your time. Just a reminder some insurance companies will have a road side assistance program that will be able to assist you in jump starting your vehicle. I am here if you have any other questions. Just let me know.

Thankyou ....

You're welcome.

I have just checked re the lights and they don’t come on , so am concluding that I have a dead battery. Would this be correct

Yes, That is correct. That is a good indication that we most likely have a dead battery which is not a very big issue nor is it a costly one to remedy. I would recommend you jump start the vehicle which will get the car running normally then take it in for service to get the battery tested and replaced as needed and you'll be all set without any other issues.

AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Thankyou so much