peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

The hatch started not opening two times but then did open.

The hatch started not opening two times but then did open. last night it stopped opening altogether. Is there a fuse for the button?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: yes, everything else works as it should
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2013 CX 5
JA: Are you fixing your CX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, Thought I would look for a fuse first as it is a eletrical switch rather then a mechanical latcht
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i know of

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Do you hear any noises near the hatch area at all when trying to open it?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I hear the doors unlocking but it does not sound like anything is happening at the hatch

O.k., unfortunately on this model here the Rear electrical control module controls the rear hatch signals to open and close it or unlock and lock it as well. There is no separate fuse. It is tied into the other locks and latch operations. The switch sends the signal to the rear electrical control module and the control module then sends the signal to the latch itself to release it.

In most all cases what fails is the rear lock/latch assembly itself needing to be replaced. I have seen this fail several times before in the past. The signal wires will need to be tested leading to the latch to make sure that this is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Never mind, it started working again. While open I checked for lubrication and manipulated it several times to ensure it would would then shut and opened it several times. I must not have gotten it s

I posted my answer above the same time you posted so I am not sure you received it so I will post it again for you just to make sure:

Now since it is working again if it starts to act up again then the latch most likely needs to be replaced. There is a chance it may act up again.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed. Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks, Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thank you

Your welcome